Friday, September 12, 2014

Skones!

Long live the skones!  Sadly, this was not to be.  When Kate started school last week she started out in Miss Ibscher's SK/1 class.  I was so excited about this for a number of reasons.  There would be less kids, there would be more structure, Kate was away from some kids... and her teacher.  The more I learned about her teacher, the more excited I was for Kate to have her.  Miss Ibscher named her kids "skones", pronounced skuwns.  Kate was very happy to be a skone.

I can't remember when we learned that reorganization was happening, but there it is, reorganization.  I've experienced it before, as a teacher and as a student, but this was the first time I was experiencing it as a parent.  I am sad.  I know Kate will be okay being put back into a JK/SK, but I'm sad.  Reorganization is all about numbers, the classes are put together in the spring based on projected numbers.  There are ministry expectations about numbers, and when you have your real numbers in the fall, sometimes changes need to be made.

She has had a magical first two weeks.  She really has.  I hope that Mrs. Nicholl's class will be magical too.  Kate's favourite memory from Miss Ibscher's class was the monarch butterflies.  They had the butterflies the first week of school and they released them a week ago.  She cried after school today because of the things she'll never get to do in Miss Ibscher's class.  I'm glad we have all weekend to help her be excited about her new class.  Thank you Miss Ibscher for a magical beginning. 


No comments: