Tuesday, September 02, 2014

SK

Kate is now an SK!  I was calling it senior kindergarten, but she told me just to call it SK.  (This was the other day, before school started.)  She's been very excited to go back to school and see her friends.





This morning she did not want to be late.  She was super co-operative, the morning went very smoothly really.  The whole family walked her to school.  Last year when we took her to school the parents went into the yard and figured out who the teacher was, said hello, then said goodbye.  This year, no parents in the yard.  We dropped Kate off into the yard we dropped her off into last year.  When the bell rang all the kids were told to go to the other side of the school, that the kindergarten students would be going in through their own doors.  We didn't stay to see Kate go into the school.

When I got home I felt upset.  I didn't know who's class she was in.  I wasn't sure if the kids would be released early, or where in fact they would be released.  The more I thought about it the more irritated I became.  It is very interesting being on the other side of the fence.  I think about the times that I've acted high and mighty to a parent and I feel badly.  (Truly, I don't think I've done it that many times... and the first day of school is a kind of stressful day...)

I called the school and found out that Kate is in the sk/one.  Her teacher is Ms. Ibscher.  The secretary wasn't sure if they would be released early, or where they would  be released.  ARGH!  I went after school and Kate came out with her teacher.  When she finally saw me, she came over, she wasn't actually released like last year.  Last year the kindergarten classes all lined up and the kids were individually released to the parent/guardian/babysitter.  I could see the other SK classes lined up outside their doors and they were released individually, but not the SK/One.

Kate said she had a good day.  She said the day was long.  She liked her teacher.  She was happy that Madison, Natalie and Abby were in her class.  And cool stuff, she played with a monarch butterfly.  It crawled up her arm and landed went on the bow on her shirt. I love my Kate.  I'm so grateful that she had an awesome first day of school!

No comments: