I'm not sure how long ago we started talking about this day on the McCartney Family Facebook page, but it was a while ago. Ken suggested Wasaga and it stuck. Ken's Mom Chris had pointed out that perhaps we needed a back up plan in case of rain, but no back up plan was ever conceived. So the morning that we got up and drove to Wasaga and it was raining, I was feeling a little upset.
We met Ken's parents in the parking lot of Canadian tire, and then drove to the beach site together and it was cold and wet and I was really feeling upset. Ken's parents started to set up under some trees away from the beach, there was talk of going to buy a tarp, family slowly started arriving, and the weather started clearing. (In the middle of that I contacted someone from the Stayner Branch, asked if we could use the building and then the second counselor in the Branch Presidency came and met us with a key.)
The weather started to clear and everyone was talking and eating and enjoying being with each other and I finally calmed down, it was going to be all right, and if it did rain, we had that back up plan. It ended up being a really nice day. (I was also a little distracted because my sister was still in town and I wasn't with her...)
The main reason for today was the Jakob family. They are living in Morocco right now as Jen is working in the embassy. We said goodbye to them last July and saw Eric and the boys last month not long after they had returned to Canada for their summer break. This was going to be the only day that everyone on Ken's side got together. I am so thankful the weather cooperated.
I love watching the kids with their cousins. Family, it just doesn't get better than family. I'm so thankful for the two amazing families that I'm part of!
Lisa bought boats on sale at Canadian Tire and the kids had so much fun playing with them.
I nursed Fiona, she fell asleep and she napped in my arms for a long time.
This guy came up to Eric when Eric got his kite out and totally took the kite away from Eric to show him how to fly it. It was kind odd to me.
There were a number of different sand creations. This is Ander's turtle Adatarium.
The sisters stood out in the water for a very long time having sister chatting time. The sand bars are really incredible. You can walk out into the Bay really far.
The kids started building a sand castle.
I eventually passed Fiona over to her Dad.
Some ball playing happened.
Eric took a nap.
Lisa got involved and the castle became a fortress complete with a pit.
When it was getting to be dinner time, I was feeling antsy. I wanted to go home and spend some last bits of time with my sister and her kids. We grabbed dinner - McDonald's and then I remembered about the key we had to return. The member of the branch presidency lived on the other side of Wasaga. I didn't want to drive across town to return the key, but we didn't have a choice. I was so grateful that he'd brought the key to the beach, it helped me have a good day. And obviously he needed the key back. I had been day dreaming about Grandma's Beach Treats since last summer and wasn't going to go to save time, but since we had to drive past it to return the key we stopped in on the way home even though it was getting later and later. With a bacon-butter tart for me, a shake for Ken, ice cream for Kate and candy floss for Fiona and Alice, we made our way home.
Suzanne was in full on packing mode when we got home and the kids were a little tired. The cousins played a bit more and then went to bed and we followed not long after. It was a long, good day.


No comments:
Post a Comment