When I started working at Blue Willow Public School one of the teacher friends I made was Roslynn. She was teaching a 4/5 combined class and I taught them music. They were a fun class. I remember playing the recorder with them. I remember having them do fun creative stuff. There were some really neat kids in that class that I then went on to teach for the next five years until they graduated.
Roslynn was one of the hardest working teachers I'd ever worked with. She cared so much about the quality of education her students were receiving. She worked so hard to provide two programs that challenged her students and met their individual needs. (It is so crazy to me that brand new teachers are given combined classes!)
I didn't end up teaching her class again. She moved down to grade 4 after that year and eventually out to the portables, when we had portables. It was cute, the teachers that she worked with called the portables the cottage. It caught on and everyone in the school used the term. They turned the cottage into a scary haunted house for Halloween one year. That was the year that we had two fire drills on Halloween - oh but they weren't drills... darn that smoke machine! (No fire though, just the fire of embarrassment!)
In 2007 she left to begin new adventures teaching in Dubai. I was sad to see her go but happy for this new chapter in her life. She met Marc in Dubai. They became friends. They both taught there for a few years. Then she moved to Australia, so did he. Then she came home, and Marc the Australian that she met in Dubai came with her.
Tonight, Ken, the girls and I went to her Henna Party the night before her wedding! YAY! I hadn't seen her since 2009. She was in town in the summer for another friend's wedding. She met Kate. (I'm so irritated that I didn't take any pictures!)
We arrived to the Henna Party a little later then I wanted to and Roslynn was already covered in Henna. I so wanted to hug her! It was an intimate little party. The girls and I each had a little henna done. It was something I've always wanted to do. I'm glad that it worked out with Fiona - thank you Ken. I just love wedding celebrations.

No comments:
Post a Comment