Friday, November 11, 2011

Wendy

I remember once telling someone that I was named after my aunt and that her name was Wendy.  When they looked at me funny and laughed I didn't get it, I didn't realize what I had said.  (Sadly I think I was in high school...)  Even though I live in Canada and my Aunt lives in England we have been able to develop a relationship. 

Today is Wendy's birthday.  My Mom suggested I send a card and lately I've been making cards and I thought I would and then I didn't.  And when I ran out of time to send a card to England I thought about the blog and doing a post and I knew exactly which pictures I was going to use for this post but I didn't ever scan the photos and I am currently in Connecticut which is a little far away from my photo albums.

So imagine: On the front of the card is a photograph of me in a white t-shirt with a very badly drawn blue wind-surfer silk-screened on it and my Auntie Wendy beside me.  We're at Ontario Place and I'm probably 12 or maybe 13?  Underneath the picture is this: A good aunt is an aunt that loves you even though you dress badly.

Inside the card is a picture of me with long hair wearing a t-shirt with a BIG maple leaf on it and written underneath is the word Canada and my Auntie Wendy is beside me and we're just about to get in a boat on the River Seine.  I'm 23 years old.  Underneath the picture is this:  A great aunt is one that doesn't comment at all on the fact that every single shirt that you brought with you to Europe has the word Canada on it and even takes you to Paris and on a boat cruise and everything.

I love my auntie Wendy.  I will never forget going to Vimy Ridge with her.  We were on a coach tour from London to Paris and we stopped in Vimy Ridge on the way.  I was the only Canadian in the group and I knew that Vimy Ridge was the place that Canada became Canada; that young men sacrificed their lives thousands of miles away from home so that other people could be free.  I was over powered by the spirit of the place and the tears flowed freely.  I wasn't prepared for how strongly I would be affected.  I looked at Wendy and she wrinkled her nose like she does and she was crying too.

Thank you Wendy for being a wonderful aunt.  I love that when I spend time with you I learn more about myself and more about my family.  Thank you for honouring our name and for being an example of what it means to be a disciple of Christ. 

I love you.

Happy Birthday!

No comments: