When Kate barfed again on Monday I googled stomach flu. I was concerned that perhaps I should take her to see someone because this was four days and it was just too long. This is what I read:
Stomach flu actually refers to gastroenteritis or irritation and inflammation of the stomach and intestines (the gastrointestinal tract). Gastroenteritis may be caused by a virus, bacteria, parasites in spoiled food or unclean water, or another trigger such as lactose intolerance, which causes a reaction to dairy products.Influenza (flu), on the other hand, is a viral infection that mimics a cold except that it starts forcefully with symptoms of fatigue, fever, and respiratory congestion. While more than 100 different virus types can cause a common cold, only influenza virus types A, B, and C cause flu. More severe cases of influenza can lead to life-threatening illnesses such as pneumonia. In addition, while antibiotics can treat a bacterial infection, antibiotics cannot treat influenza because flu is caused by a virus.
And I thought, seriously, my child is sick and you're telling me that calling it stomach flu is wrong... Oh and the answer by the way to how long gastroenteritis lasts is 1-10 days in children. I'm thankful that Kate is better!
Suzanne's prayer was that they'd make it through the baptism without illness, and they did. After the baptismal service was over and the refreshments we're being enjoyed Matthew informed Suzanne that Anna was sick. First Anna, the next morning Thomas, then Isaac and although he never actually barfed, Joey wasn't feeling well either. Talk about a crazy visit!
I'm leaving tomorrow and I feel in many ways that I was cheated out of my visit. I did spend lots of time with my sister and her kiddies, but so much of it was blurred by sickness. I should be thankful that everyone has recovered, that Suzanne took such good care of us, that she wasn't mad at all, that we did have some fun moments.
Now, let's have no more talk of sickness thank you very much! (And no, there aren't any pictures to accompany this post!)
No comments:
Post a Comment