I'm getting Alice dressed and I notice that the toenail on her left big toe is breaking and so being the brilliant person that I am I decide to just rip the broken part of the nail off... it started to bleed right away. I used a wipe, a kleenex then a bandaid, then another bandaid and so on. I called Ken, he said to apply pressure. I applied pressure (not for long enough, not that I knew that at the time), used more bandaids. Phoned Ken again. It was still bleeding so I called telehealth. I was freaking out a bit. I tried to stay calm but I was freaking myself out.
Telehealth is a great thing - you can phone and talk to a registered nurse and you can figure out what to do... or in my case you can come to your senses. While I was talking to the nurse Alice fell asleep and the bleeding stopped. Looking at the bandaids it isn't that much blood, but Alice is little.
I want to remember this experience... I need to use scissors to trim nails - which I do most of the time I swear. I want to remember this experience because when stressful things happen I need to do a better job of staying calm. I can't think when I get flustered and staying calm is so important.
And lastly, I can't quite believe that the blood on the last bandaid is heart shaped!
(And just one more thing... Alice did cry when I first ripped the nail, but after a few seconds she stopped and during the whole ordeal she was irritated with me more than anything for trying to hold her still!)
1 comment:
ew.
Post a Comment