Thursday, August 03, 2023

The Utah Visit - This is the Place

Our last full day in the northern parts! We're all a little bit looking forward to going home, but I am definitely not looking forward to saying goodbye. I was worried that the weather wouldn't cooperate, but thankfully it did. The afternoon was perfect! We had such a great time at This is the Place. 

There was one surprise this morning - Fiona's face! Her story is that around 6 am she woke up and bashed her face into the side of the bunk bed that she's been sleeping in all week. It was puffy and sore and she was feeling a little out of sorts this morning, but thankfully she felt much better as the day went along.

It was gorgeous out today. Just perfect weather. Blue skies, not too hot. Beautiful!
Since we last went in 2019 they've built a visitors centre. There's some movies, some art, a diorama and a fun covered wagon to climb inside of!


The main reason that I wanted to come, Jane Manning James and Green Flake. I didn't ever donate money, but many others did, and the statues are there now. History is all about stories. It used to be the story of the "winners", but people are trying to go back and piece together the stories of the people that were oppressed, tell the stories we don't know. History is difficult. I'm grateful for all of the historians that are telling the stories of our black pioneers! We need to know these stories. I feel changed by the little bit that I know about Jane Manning James and Green Flake. Their stories of faith and tenacity inspire me. The things that they went through, the incredible odds that were against them. That they lived and prospered and were faithful, it makes me weep and also just feel grateful.






I'm so glad that Joey and Ben came with us!
I thought these were so funny!
AND I'm so so so happy that Dole Whips are gluten free and dairy free! YAY FOR ME!!
Joey, Ben and Fiona had Brigham's donuts.
After the donuts we walked over to the pony rides. Ben and Fiona rode the ponies and Alice and Kate explored the petting farm. Kate found a favourite pony.


And then a goat.


Next we caught the trolley up to the area where you pan for gold.

Deseret News for Suzanne!!

Ben didn't really get into the panning for gold, but all the kids had fun playing in the water. We were there for a while!









I went into the little gift shop and used Fiona's money to buy a pouch to put her gold into. Joey took Fiona and Ben on the mini train, and then we walked down the hill - stopping to say hello to Mary Fielding Smith - I'm excited to meet her one day!


When we got back down the hill we didn't know where the bank was. They told us that we could take our gold into the bank. We weren't sure why but we were curious. We went in the school house to ask where the bank was but then the girls all had to write their names in the phonetic deseret alphabet first.


Luckily the bank which was closing in two minutes, was still open and across the street from the school house. I didn't know that you could take your gold to the bank and get it weighed. It was really cool. There were two kids in line in front of Fiona. The first kid's gold was the equivalent of $3.98 in 1865. The second kid's gold was about $1.50 or something. Then Fiona poured her gold into the tray. It would have been worth $21.00! CRAZY! The woman in the bank said that Fiona could buy two horses, or go to school for seven years. She recommended going to school!


Joey and Ben had left just before this. After going to the bank we went into the main gift shop. The girls all got a candy stick, I bought another pig and we thought about buying Ken this mug. "Kenneth: Beneath the steely exterior beats the heart of a dashing hero." I a little bit regret not getting it for him.
We saw a deer when we were leaving and I pulled over to take a pic.
We drove through downtown Salt Lake on the way back to Suzanne's. I wanted to take the girls into see Suzanne at work, but they didn't really want to stop, and I didn't press it. I also a little bit regret that too. 

The girls had fun hanging out with Anna before the big goodbye tomorrow. Right now I'm feeling ready to go, let's see how I feel in the morning. And not ready because I had an awful time, I had a wonderful time, just ready to go, because it's always so nice to go home, and I miss my Kenneth!


No comments: