Many moons ago Ken and I were in the Don Valley Ward in Toronto Stake. There were several young couples in the ward because of the chiropractic college that was within the ward boundaries. I think one of the couples was called to be advisors of some sort over the "young marrieds". Ken and I were I think the second longest married, and I was definitely the oldest. At the time these things felt highly significant. One night we played a version of the newlywed game. Ken and I came in last place lol. And as such we won the biggest price - the frying pan that you can kind of see which is now in the blue box. The frying pan belonged to Amy and Brian and I think it was a wedding present of theirs. It was a great pan - but as Amy warned - hard to clean. (I used an SOS pad, so it was really easy to clean.) The pan reminded me of the honestly, kind of weird times figuring out how to make couple friends when we were first married. Out of all the couples, I'm Facebook friends with all but one still, and all of the couples are still married.
The pic below was all of us minus Amy in April 2007. Ken and I were the only ones without a kid by the end of our time in Don Valley ward.
The other thing that I remembered when I looked at the pan was a fight. A silly fight. I did something stupid and thoughtless and Ken banged the pan on the stove and dented it. He doesn't lose his temper very often ever - we both lose it at the kids sometimes - something we're both working on, but before kids, he almost never got angry - at least not that he expressed.
On Saturday, Ken and I went to Home Sense looking for a small storage cabinet. We came home with some ideas, some treats, and a proper large saucepan/skillet with a proper lid. Last night Ken deposited the once prized pot in the recycling bin. I just needed to record these memories. My sentimentality knows no bounds!


No comments:
Post a Comment