Friday, January 24, 2014

Ken Had a Birthday Shout Hooray!

When I was making a card for Ken this year I discovered a few things.   I had a picture of his first married birthday in 2003.  But then there wasn't another birthday pic of his until 2007.  I don't know why?!  It's funny looking through my photo albums - when I took pictures with film and had them developed.  I had pictures of Christmas and then the next pictures would be March Break with my nephews.  That was when you took pictures of really big deal significant things, which still doesn't explain why Ken's birthday wasn't documented!

Now I have more pictures then I know what to do with.  I love my pictures.  But, this is about Ken's birthday.  The other thing I didn't discover but reflected on, some more, is the fact that Ken has had a series of crummy birthdays since 2009.  His birthday is exactly two weeks after Kate's.  We've gone out to dinner, we've done little things, but mostly Ken's birthday has become completely overshadowed by his children's birthdays., Alice being a month after.

This year I wanted to do something special.  I wanted to get him special presents, have a special dinner and generally shower him with love! 

SO, I made three cards.  One from me, one from Kate and one from Alice.

Kate's card read: Dear Dad, I love you very much.  It is my pleasure to love you very much.  And I have great joy that it is your birthday.  Love from, Kate.

Alice's card read: Dear Dad,
Alice says: You can join my party. 
Mom - reads the card to Alice.
Alice: No, he can't, because he's part of the jail part.  My Daddy's part of Brave.  My Daddy's part of Brave!
Mom - okay Daddy's part of Brave.
Alice: I want to watch Brave on your computer.
Mom - do you want to wish Daddy Happy Birthday?
Alice: No, I want to say happy to you.  I want to sing the song first.  Happy birthday to Ken poop.

Kate was home with us on Ken's birthday.  That was the day we went shopping.  (I had wanted to go shopping the day before but the white car wouldn't start and so Ken took the van to Vaughan.)  The girls and I went in to Newmarket.  We purchased tea apparatus for Ken, from Home Outfitters.  (Some ballet stuff for the girls at the pricey dance store - no second hand stuff, sadly! Then the girls and I had lunch at Subway.) We finished off our shopping trip at the Real Canadian Superstore where we bought ingredients to make dinner and cupcakes.

I made fajitas for dinner - at Ken's request.  They were pretty good.  We sang and had cupcakes.





The pictures - Ken trying to blow out his candles, having to protect them from Kate, and then Kate inevitably having to blow out her own candles!!

Ken felt special!  He loved his cards, his gifts, his dinner and his cupcake, but the most fun was yet to come!

I booked Makenna and Abigail to come and babysit, I think maybe a month ago - well not quite, but several weeks ago!  And on Monday this week I made reservations at the 1812 Grillhouse in Bradford for Friday night.  We left all the girls and went out for dinner - for about two hours.  It was a snowy blowy night - and I'm glad we were there and back early!  The food was so good.  It is so nice to go on a date with my husband!  It was just lovely.  We both look forward to the time that we'll be able to leave all the girls for longer, to come back after they're in bed!  But for now we'll enjoy what we can.  Ken was so surprised.  I didn't tell him until the girls were here to babysit.  It all worked out perfectly.  And thanks to my Mom - we used her birthday money for Ken to pay for dinner.


This year, I feel like Ken was properly celebrated!  We love our Dad and Husband!  YAY for KEN!  Happy 25th Birthday my love!

*The 1812 Grillhouse is located at 1812 Hwy 27 in Bradford.  It specializes in Southern food.  We had hush puppies to start.  We shared fried chicken and waffles, and the beef brisket sammie.  For dessert we shared peanut butter pie.  We also had hot chocolate to drink because we were freezing when we first got there!  We loved it and we both want to go back again sometime and try more of the menu!

No comments: