Saturday, April 13, 2013

Surprise!

Suzanne and Anna arrived ridiculously late, but were happy to get here at all considering the ice storm flight cancellations from the day before.  Suzanne was given a bit of a hard time at immigration because the note from Matthew wasn't notarized.  (Note to self - get future notes of permission written by Ken notarized!)

Saturday morning our girls were up and ready to play with Anna, but poor little Anna hadn't really gotten the best night's sleep so Kate and Alice played and Anna slept.  Ken made breakfast, which was my official birthday breakfast - WAFFLES!!  Anna eventually woke up and the girls played and if I could have had a birthday wish it would have been that Kate and Anna play without issue and so far so good.

Then the harassment began.  There's nothing I hate more than being rushed on a Saturday morning and the day after my birthday morning both Suzanne and Ken we in full hurry-up-Wendy mode and I was seriously annoyed.  Then we were supposed to be going for lunch at my Mom's which was very confusing because I thought Suzanne and I were going to go out.  I thought we were dropping off the kids and Ken and they were going to hang out with the Grandparents and Uncle Andrew and Suzanne and I were gone. 

Little did I know... we got to my parents, I had to pee (I'm very pregnant) and well there were all these people in my Mom's apartment saying surprise.  It was weird and awkward - or at least I felt weird and awkward - for a few minutes.  Everyone went downstairs to the party room - I followed after a trip to the ladies room, and then I didn't feel weird and awkward, I felt so very loved.

I think I was most particularly struck by how many of my work colleagues were there.  I think the world of them and love working with the amazing people that I do, but to see them all there supporting me was really special to me.  The lot of them all chipped in and bought me a charm bracelet with three charms - a pig (I'm Bacon at work), music notes (I'm the music teacher) and a heart with a diamond - the love me and diamond is my birthstone. 

There were friends from all different parts of my life and it was just so special.  Mom, Andrew, Rayna, Suzanne and Ken all had a hand in planning and putting it together.  I felt really special. 
















And bonus, Suzanne and I did get to go out for dinner, and we just generally had a lovely time visiting!  I'm still not sure about 40, numbers are weird, heck, most of the time I feel like a teenager.  But if this is the beginning of 40, all this love, then 40 is going to be amazing!

No comments: