Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Goodbye Jane


Jane.  I met her my very first Sunday in our newly geographically assigned Cookstown Ward last year.  She had been called to be the Primary President.  (Primary being the children's organization.)  I had been asked that Sunday to play the piano which I was happy to do.  She told me that she had submitted my name to be the secretary and she hoped that was okay.  I didn't tell her then but it was an answer to prayer.  I loved being in primary and being the secretary was something I felt I could do (do well even) and still manage my life.

Working in the primary is something I'm really enjoying right now.  It's where my heart is.  Part of what makes it such a special experience (aside from the cute kiddies) is the other adults that you work with.  Working together you learn from each other and you develop close ties.  Watching Jane with the kids was such a treat.  She worked as a librarian for years in Mississippi and ran children's programs.  She loved the kids and the kids loved her.  She and her husband had moved up here to Ontario I think three years ago from Mississippi for her husband's job.  Since she didn't have papers to work here she focussed her attention on her writing.

I'm writing this post as a thank you and as a reminder to me.  Jane is one of those people that makes you feel good.  Her praise and love are unconditional.  You want to be a better person being around her.  She's just fun and down to earth and well I gush!  I am so thankful for the opportunity I had to get to know her.  (Her husband was transferred back to Mississippi.)  I will miss her very much.  What I want to remember is to try and be like her.  I want other people to feel good when they're around me.  I want to be a builder and a lifter.  I want to be more patient and compassionate.  Thank you Jane for exemplifying what it means to be a great leader and friend!  (And yay for email and facebook so we can keep in touch so easily!)

Oh and if you waant to read a thrilling Y.A. novel, pick up a copy of Jane's first book, Strands of Bronze and Gold.
 

No comments: