Monday, March 25, 2013

Mt. Sinai - first visit

I was fine until this morning and this morning I was really only not fine because I was running late.  The plan was to drive all the way downtown to the hospital and then go see a friend afterward.  I was told to plan on being there for 3-4 hours so I booked off the whole day in anticipation. 

This morning because I ended up feeling a little fragile, I took the subway down and planned to go right home afterward, which ended up being a good thing because Alice (the barfer, who hasn't actually barfed in a while) barfed this morning.

I got there just a little after 8 a.m., which was my scheduled appointment time, got checked in and sat down to wait.  I brought a book but I didn't think I could focus to read anything so I didn't and I didn't have to wait long anyway. 

I saw a nurse first who also did an ultrasound, so I'm not sure what her official title was.  She took my history, there were so many questions, and thankfully I knew most of the answers!  Next she did a full anatomy ultrasound.  Awesome thing at Mt. Sinai a screen for me.  I could watch her do the whole thing and she didn't have to turn her screen and I didn't have to crane my neck.  It was neat.  And she was very respectful of my wishes, asking me if I knew the gender and told me when to close my eyes.  And of course I know that all of my family members will be very happy to know that I didn't peak!

After she was finished the scan she sent me for blood work.  When I came back the doctor met me quite quickly, he wanted to look at the baby's MCA levels again.  (MCA refers to middle cerebral artery and looking at the blood flow is a good predictor of fetal anemia. From an abstract, from a study:  This non-invasive investigation can be reliable in predicting anaemia in cases in which the need to sample fetal blood is not certain, therefore delaying invasive testing until treatment is likely to be required.)  When the first scan had been done this morning one of the numbers came back above the safe range, but the baby was quite active during the first scan which could then mean a false positive.  The baby was totally quiet for the second scan and the numbers were well within the normal range.

However, given the one high number I'm to report back to Mt. Sinai on Wednesday when my blood work will be complete.  Wednesday is when decisions will be made as to my continuing care.  The medical treatment I'm receiving is amazing, I feel so blessed.  Baby 3 is being very well looked after.  Oh and one last thing that I just remembered.  The doctor said that with a first pregnancy with elevated anti-body levels there aren't usually issues with the baby.  It's with subsequent pregnancies that there are issues.  So many things to give comfort!  That and the ongoing peace I feel from my Heavenly Father that everything is going to be okay!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love you Wendy. So thankful that you are keeping us up to date. Always in our prayers. Hugs, Mom