Kate's first week in primary (children's program at church) was magical. She and Owen were the new kids just moved up from nursery and they were the centre of attention. That was the first week. Then reality set in and Kate started to get sad because she wasn't picked to do everything. To help the children to get to know each other as our ward (congregation) which is still kind of new, having been formed last year, the primary president started the "Star Child". Each week a different child would be given the star bag and their job was to take it home and fill it with their stuff and then present it the next week. Each week as another child's name was drawn Kate would sink further into despair. Last Sunday that changed! Her name was drawn and never did you see a happier child!
We brought the star bag home and all week she would put things into it and we would practise presenting the items. She probably asked me at least once a day, "Mommy, am I the star child?" Sunday was of course a big day. She had it filled to overflowing and she clutched the bag through most of sacrament meeting (the first meeting as a congregation). She had to wait another hour after that, she had to wait through song time and sharing time (a short lesson) and then, then it was finally time to present her star bag show and tell.
I wish we had recorded it. She was so happy. She was in her element all the eyes on her, sharing all of her special things. I watched her with tears in my eyes. I'm the primary secretary so I'm there every Sunday. Ken is a primary teacher so he's there too. I had him take some pictures. I wish I'd taken a picture of her with the actual bag... oh well.
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment