Saturday, December 18, 2010

Dad and Jon

Dad was doing great.  Everything was progressing as it should.  He was scheduled to go home on Tuesday, December 7th.  Mom went to go get him.  She was helping him to get dressed but Dad couldn't move and was in lots of pain.  They sent him for x-rays and discovered that he had a break in his femur.  This would mean another surgery to repair the bone and re-do the prothesis. 

He under went surgery number two the day of my second winter concert on Thursday, December 9th.  I spoke to him briefly on the phone that night and he sounded terrible.  He was in lots of pain and couldn't really talk.  We went to see him on the Saturday and by this point he was already deteriorating.  He had fluid in his stomach so he wasn't allowed to eat and they were draining his stomach through a tube in his nose - very unpleasant. 

Sunday night things went from bad to worse.  Mom got a call at 2 a.m. saying that he'd lost vital signs, had been resusitated and was now in the ICU.  She went outside at 5 a.m. to clean off the car and go to the hospital and met our next door neighbour - a nurse who when learning about what was going on accompanied Mom to the hospital.  Dad was intubated, hooked up to all sorts of monitors, had IVs and was very sedated.

Mom called me that morning (Monday the 13th) while I was driving to work.  She had no idea what was going on with Dad and we were both very afraid for him.  I went to school and got things organized and left.  I took that day and the next two off work to sit with Mom and Dad in the ICU.  After sitting with Dad and seeing that he was very much still there I felt much better. 

I went back to work Thursday because Jon had come into town to be with Mom and Dad.  We hardly had chance to visit with Jon at all but Mom was comforted to have him with her and Dad was so happy to see Jon. 

We did spend a bit of time with Jon on Saturday morning - before we left for the McCartney Family Christmas.  This was the second time that Kate was meeting Jon - the first time being when she was 7 mos. old and we went to Utah.  I tried to get some pictures... but Kate is just so not into posing for pictures right now... the stinker!

Even though Kate's eyes are closed I like this one because Kate is playing with the bear that Jon slept with as a kid.  I told him he should take it home with him but he disagreed.













Kate trying to get away and Jon smiling away trying to get that perfect shot.













Jon trying a different tactic to get Kate to smile.

















Wanting a brother and sister with kid photo.  It isn't too bad, unless you really look at the expression on my face - over smiling, kind of scary like.













Dad is still intubated but hopefully that will all be done soon and he'll be back to recovering from the hip surgery.

No comments: