I can't remember exactly when Theo messaged Alice on Instagram, but at some point in late December Theo reached out because he wanted to organize a surprise party for Kate for her birthday. Originally it was going to be the 10th, but more people could come on the 11th and party day was set! Alice was originally the go between but then it was just frustrating so Theo and I followed each other on Instagram and continued messaging and organizing all the things.
Ken's laundry treasures tee hee!
Kate asked for a cake a couple of days ago, and decided at lunch yesterday that she wanted an octopus cake, so that worked out well. Fiona really likes baking and she helped Ken make the adorable cake!
One of the biggest concerns was how to get Kate out of the house. I decided that her coming to walk the dog with me could be the thing, and it worked! (If it rained, our back up was Ken taking Kate out to drive). Our walk was so pretty!
When we got back from the walk I wasn't sure how to get her to the basement. We're in the kitchen, Kate's back is to me and I mouth to Ken something about basement, and he said "Kate can you get me both types of pasta from the basement" and off she goes, not realizing even a little bit that her friends are giggling in the dark behind her. They yelled out surprise and this was her face.
Kate was so cute. She looked up at me at one point, and then as the shock was starting to wear off a little she said "I think I'm going to cry."
Leah had to work and Mason had some other commitment, but everyone else was able to be there, Theo, Jaden, Rhian, Sophia, Zach, Isabelle, Tiffany and of course Kate.
Oh my dear sweet Kate. Remember this. Remember that your friends do love you. Remember that friends are human and not always amazing at seeing every little need/hurt/slight. Remember that despite their human frailty your friends do see you and they love you. They love you. Happy 17th birthday my darling girl. Being here, being your Mom, watching the amazing human that you are growing into, it fills my heart with love and gratitude.


















No comments:
Post a Comment