Saturday, January 24, 2026

A Beautiful Celebration of Life

Today I had the privilege of attending Shawn's Mama's celebration of life. It was such a beautiful service. Shawn and her family did such a beautiful job. It was held in the Presbyterian Church in Keswick, the church and community that Shawn's family was a part of when they lived in Keswick. Shawn's parents lived in Keswick from either the late 70s or the early 80s until 2020 when they moved to London to be closer to all of their children. 

Coming together as a community to celebrate a life well lived is such a beautiful thing. I felt grateful to be there and here Lina's kids talk about their amazing Mom. They declared several times that she wasn't perfect, but she was perfect for them. I think that is the thing we all strive for in families isn't it? That none of us is perfect, but we can learn and grow together in the best way possible. 

Lina could sew - I knew she had sewn Shawn's graduation dresses, but I didn't know that she sewed their matching Olympic Torch outfits - when Fred ran with the torch before the Calgary Olympics, and that she sewed Cabbage Patch Kids outfits and sold them. I knew she taught piano lessons, but didn't realize she played guitar and when she and Fred first met he watched her play guitar by the campfire and fell in love with a beautiful blonde. I knew they lived in New Brunswick for a time, but I didn't know that Lina loved the opportunity to build something new with Fred. I didn't know that she led the children's choir at church. I loved listening to her kids talk about how she listened to them, how she was there to support them when they needed her, traveling to Japan to meet a grandson, holding a daughter during the ups and downs of IVF.

I loved singing hymns in a different church. We sang "Praise to the Lord, the Almighty", "Shine, Jesus, Shine" and "It Is Well with My Soul". They were all a little different than I'm used to, but I loved standing and singing in Shawn's family's church. I loved the prayers and scriptures, and the solos by high school friends. 

Psalm 139:14 - I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; marvellous are they works; and that my soul knoweth right well. "Fearfully and wonderfully made", I love that.

I'm grateful for dear friends, and I'm grateful to be there for these sacred moments in our lives.






I'm grateful for my amazing friend Shawn, and the amazing home that she grew up in. I'm grateful to have learned a little more about her amazing Mama. Lina was no ordinary Mama, she was extraordinary.

No comments: