Yesterday afternoon when I was teaching social studies to the grade 2s, the homeroom teacher Katherine Sprigg started talking about snow, and how they were now forecasting 30-40 cms of snow for tomorrow. I thought oh dear, I need to actually get up on time!
When I woke up I looked at Instagram - quickest way to see what's been cancelled. DDSB cancelled buses in all zones and to my surprise and utter delight, YRDSB cancelled all buses and closed all of the schools! I had an honest to goodness snow day and I was so happy!
Ken and I shoveled a bit, then I tried to take the dog for a walk at 7:30 but it was so windy and the dog was not interested. I shoveled more snow, Kate came out, Alice and Kate decided to stay home, but then Fiona wanted to go to school. I tried to convince her to stay home but she really wanted to go, so I took her.
When I got home I tried to take the dog out again and this time he was willing to walk. One of my favourite things about a heavy snow fall is talking to all of the neighbours. You just don't see people very often in the winter, so everyone being outside commiserating about the snow, I love it!
I should have used my time to do more school work today but I worked kind of slowly. I actually wrote missionary emails, did some paperwork - the Honda Pilot is officially paid off and I scanned the document to let the insurance company know. I chatted with Alice and Kate a little. I cleaned the kitchen. I shoveled more, I picked up Fiona, I shoveled some more, I walked the dog again, Fiona and I made dinner, I shoveled a path for the dog in the backyard, watched a Korean cooking show with Ken and in there I did a tiny amount of school work. I labelled band music and wrote marks in my marking book.
I am grateful for slow days like today. My school board actually has a work from home P.A. day tomorrow so I didn't push myself too much today. It really was a delightful day.
The meat house. This is a house at the corner of Cherry and Range Line and Milo found some frozen meat in the ditch over the winter break. He took me back to the house so many times over the winter break and then on one of our visits we actually met Brendan and Susannah - the owners of the house. They were so lovely. I told Brendan I now called his house the meat house and he thought that was the funniest thing. He promised to clean up the meat - he thought likely deposited by a helpful racoon. We've been back twice since the meat has been cleaned up. I wonder how much longer poor Milo will keep looking for it.
14 inches ish, about 35 cms. It was A LOT of snow!
I told Fiona to put her face in the snow so she did lol.
The funny dog. I think I wanted Milo to enjoy his snow path a little more than he did? Or he was just tired of being outside? Or he wanted food? Who knows, funny boy.
I'm thankful for where I live, in this beautiful corner of this beautiful world and I'm so thankful for snow days.









No comments:
Post a Comment