Friday, January 05, 2018

The ROM

When I got a call from a telemarketer back in October I was making dinner and just listened to the talking, but by the end of the conversation I had signed up for a two year membership to the ROM. I think I am currently a little addicted to memberships. (We might have three...) BUT!! We use them.

Today was the second time we went to the ROM as members. Ken took the day off of work and he and the girls decided that the ROM was where we would go. It was really, really, really cold today. Right now it's -21 but feels like -30. I'm not sure what the high was that we reached today. At some point when I looked at the temperature in the van it said -17. YUCK!

We've parked at Warden station and taken the subway downtown twice I think. Ken wanted to try McCowan today. It's the end of the line of the Light Rapid Transit - LRT, and he thought this made more sense. It's right off the 401 and we were able to park for $4.00 right near the door. The LRT was cold. Really cold.  The tracks are all elevated above ground and the stations are very breezy. I don't think we really started to warm up until we switched to the subway at Kennedy station. Today, for the first time, we switched trains at St. George and went directly to museum station. We were outside for a total of maybe 10 minutes, which was honestly, more than enough!


They've reopened the Queen's Park entrance that was the main entrance of the museum in the 1930's. I should have taken a picture of Alice and the ceiling. She was absolutely captivated by it. It is so beautiful. I've got pictures of it somewhere - I've probably blogged it before!

Our first stop was the Viking Exhibit. It's the temporary exhibit down in the basement. The parts that I got to read were really interesting. Fiona pulled on my arm a lot, so I didn't get to read everything.


After the Vikings we went to the kids' area - Fiona would have become completely unglued otherwise! We saw some animal stuff and then played with costumes.







Then we had lunch.


We tried to take a cute picture with the balloon animal tree...

 
Then I really wanted to see the Dior exhibit. We went up to the third floor and ended up looking at European history, then Fiona and I got separated from Alice, Kate and Ken and when we found them again, Kate wasn't doing well. I begged, and said we'd be quick. We made our way there and walked around the beautiful Dior dresses for about a minute before Ken left with Kate and Alice. I feel badly because I thought Kate was being a real wimp... 

Fiona picked out her favourite dress.
And we called it done and went to find Ken, Kate and Alice.


Museum station is really cool.
On every subway car we went on people got up to the give the girls their seats. People are so good. There was one unfortunate angry looking woman that yelled at a young woman (in her twenties maybe) about being rude and kicking her hand. The young woman looked horrified, because it was horrifying, and she said she didn't know, and she said sorry. That was the end of that. I thought maybe one of the girls would comment about it, but none of them did. Maybe it isn't such an unusual thing for them?

And poor Miss Kate!! We got off the subway at Kennedy to go up to the LRT and Kate lost it and barfed all over the subway platform, twice. She cried and cried. She was so embarrassed and horrified, and so sorry for making a mess. She was so great about it and I was so proud of her and so sad that she really was sick. We managed to take the LRT back to McCowan without incident and thankfully set Kate up with a barf bag in the van (yes she needed it), and that was that.

Kate perked up and eventually ate and was feeling much better by the time she went to bed. Alice and Fiona seemed fine - I hope! (We shall see...) All in all a fun end to our winter break. And now it's the weekend, and time to celebrate Miss Kate, our soon to be nine year old!




No comments: