I thought I was leaving too late. I had to refill my wiper fluid before I drove home. I spilled it on my hand. I did not go back into the school to wash my hands, I "washed" them in the snow. The traffic was great but then when I got to the girls' school Fiona was not cooperative. She wouldn't come with me. She melted down over and over and over again on the way to the car. We got to the car, we did our buckles, we drove to the pool at McLean Community Centre. Fiona was still being difficult, and then Alice decided she didn't want to go, she was nervous and she changed her mind.
We got to the change room, the girls changed, Alice discovered that a friend from her class was in her swim class, things were looking up. Alice got in the pool with her friend's class, Kate didn't know which class was hers. We checked in with the head lifeguard dude and the girls' names weren't on the list. He asked when I registered and then went into the office to look it up. Turns out swimming lessons are now on Thursdays... not Tuesdays.
The girls were crushed. They were on the verge of tears. I tried to laugh it off and it kind of worked but then they were being silly and locking each other in lockers, and I got annoyed and just wanted to leave already.
I told the girls I'd take them to Tim Horton's for dinner and a treat - I was given a number of gift cards for Christmas. The girls were reasonably good and sort of ate - the food just isn't good at Tim Horton's. There had been some meanness, some whining but not too bad. After they finished eating I said we should choose our treats. Kate loves vanilla dipped donuts with sprinkles. There weren't any. I suggested we go to a different Tim Horton's and meet Ken there and the girls could have their treat. Alice was upset, she wanted her treat right away. She started whining. She did finally agree that meeting up with her Dad would be fun.
We got in the car and that's when things went south. I pinched Alice's finger (accidentally) doing Fiona's buckle and Alice wouldn't stop whining and then Kate wouldn't stop insulting. Back and forth and back and forth and I threatened, one more and we're not going to Tim's. And sadly they went one more, and I had to follow through, but I didn't want to. So I thought we'd pull over and have a conversation, see if they could figure out a way to fix it. But on the way to pulling over they kept going and then I raged. It was a little ugly. I pulled over and phoned Ken and he said fine, they don't go. Also not the answer I was looking for - I really wanted a donut. (So lame!)
I hung up with Ken and explained about mean words, and saying sorry and being nice, and figuring out when to stop and when to stay quiet and how hurtful words can be, and I wasn't even finished talking when Kate continued to be mean. And then I was really done.
We drove home. No one was happy. Kate went right to her room, Alice whined at me about no screens. Alice whined and whined and whined about no screens until she finally stopped whining. I got to talk to Kate and we had a good conversation. Then Alice wanted me to read to her and I put her off, I was doing something, and Kate had come downstairs and she decided to read. And just when I thought that they were the worst, the became the best again.
We learn together. I hope that Kate and Alice and Fiona will always remember that they were sent to be in a family together on purpose. That their jobs are to help each other become their best selves. I hope they will always be best friends, that they will always love and protect each other fiercely. I love my girls.



No comments:
Post a Comment