Tuesday, March 03, 2015

A Novel!

Kate's reading has astounded us for a while now.  It isn't just her ability to decode, it's the way she reads with such expression.  We have wanted her to challenge herself, and have tried and failed to introduce chapter books a few times.  Today Kate brought home her Scholastic order.  In it was Rainbow Magic, Florence the Friendship Fairy.

When Kate picked the book a couple of weeks ago, I didn't think much of it.  It came with three bracelets, and I thought it was kind of silly, but it was within the price limit, and I thought, it's her choice, so whatever.

It was after dinner and I can't remember exactly what we were all doing, but I asked Kate to read a chapter.  The book has little black line drawings on each page, a friendly sized font, and short 3-4 page chapters. 

She read the first chapter, then she kept going, and kept going, and going.  I followed along the first little bit, but then Alice and Fiona would interrupt here and there.  The vocabulary was perfect, there were only a few words in the whole thing she didn't understand.  She just kept reading. 

I don't know how long it took either, but little Miss Kate finished the whole darn thing!  All 157 pages, in one sitting!  I was so impressed and proud of her.  I feel that it's going to be very important for Kate to find the balance between pushing herself and enjoying herself.  She has so many talents, but talents are nothing without hard work to develop them!

Way to go Kate, I'm so proud of you!  (Dad too!)

No comments: