Sunday, October 05, 2014

General Conference

I love general conference.  LOVE!  A weekend jam-packed with spiritual illumination, with such tremendous guidance.  This conference was no different than any other.  I sat with notebook in hand to write down wonderful ideas, personal ideas. 

I tried to prepare myself and the girls.  We had FHE on Monday all about the apostles.  We coloured pictures and talked about them, looked at pictures.  Ken and I talked about how much we love our prophet and the importance of receiving guidance. 

I made booklets, bingo cards, I bought candy, I made a quiet book about the apostles.  I wanted the girls to have tools to help them.  But I also didn't have any illusions about forcing them to watch.  I wanted the basement to be a welcoming happy place to be if they wanted to be there.

I was going to take a picture of the girls happily completing their conference activities... sigh.  So, noon, Saturday we all go down to the basement, just before noon really.  We had a late breakfast, so no thoughts about lunch.  The girls were excited when they saw everything.  They were of course most excited about the bingo-candy game.  Fiona was tired and lasted all of about ten minutes before completely losing her mind.  I then spent the next 45 minutes losing my mind trying to put her to sleep.  Sigh.  By the time I got downstairs again Kate and Alice were pretty much done. 

I was able to catch up and I pretty much listened to/watched everything.  There were a few talks that were interrupted but really for the most part I was able to partake.  Kate and Alice were in and out, Fiona barely held on, and there was of course the barfing (poor Alice) during the last session today. 

I really enjoyed conference.  I am left thinking about so many things.  I do feel slightly guilty though.  Ken looked after the girls for the most part.  I'm not sure what he got out of conference.  Conference with small children is hard.  I think we did the best we could. 

I am excited for my girls to gain their own testimonies of the gospel.  I'm excited for them to be excited about conference.  I'm looking forward to the day when they understand the blessings of personal revelation in their own lives.  But for now, I will be thankful for their childhood and for their innocence. 

Alice was so excited to catch glimpses of the prophet.  She learned Henry B. Eyring's name and Dieter F. Uchtdorf too, which was pretty cute, she already knows the prophet - Thomas S. Monson.  Kate had moments when I feel like she was feeling the spirit, which we will follow up on at FHE tomorrow. 

I belong to the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  I am so thankful for this.  I am so blessed.

2 comments:

jer_z_chick said...

Sounds like a crazy/lovely time!

Suzanne said...

So cool! I wish there was a like button on blog posts. So much faster than typing comments. :P
Love you sister!