Thursday, September 05, 2013

Kate's First Day of School

Everything went so smoothly this morning!  Ken was able to give Kate a father's blessing this morning.  This was a tradition in my house - receiving a father's blessing before the new school year, it is one that I want to continue.  Kate was blessed to be a light to those around her, to be understanding of the needs of her classmates, she was blessed to look for uplifting friends.

Kate was very excited and extremely cooperative. We went outside and took pictures before we walked to school, then the whole family walked Kate to school.  I wasn't entirely sure what to expect when we got there, but  Kate and I walked into the school yard and quickly found her class.  She will have a few different teachers - two teachers, an ECE teacher, and who knows how many other teachers she might see.  One really neat thing is that one of the sisters in our ward, Cindy Lee is one of her teachers.  I was so excited to see her this morning.  Another fun thing is that a few of her preschool classmates are in her class, and our neighbour Aiden is in her class too!


Alice and I had a preview of what it would be like not having Kate around when Ken took her to the dentist yesterday... it's going to be quiet.  Today when we were out doing errands, Alice noticed two things:  When we were in the van, she said "Kate's not singing.".  It's true. Kate loves to sing along to the music.  After our grocery trip, she said "Kate's not hitting me, she's at school.".  I look forward to the day that Kate will stop hitting Alice altogether.  I took a picture of Alice this morning too.  I thought she would want her picture taken, but she looked at me kind of queerly and said, "I not go to school".  But she took a cute picture anyway!

When Kate got home I asked her some questions about her day.
Favourite thing today - when some kids were naughty, running around
Thing she didn't like - nothing, she liked everything
Favourite activity - lying on the carpet and reading books

There was also some mention about holding hands and solving a mystery.  They read Ten Drowsy Dinosaurs and they had gym class.  In gym class, they were jumping when it was a bumpy road and walking single file when it was a narrow road.

I'm excited and happy for my sweet little girl.  I'm glad that so far, she loves school!  And you know what? Six hours goes by pretty quick!

No comments: