Last days are weird. I've now had three of them. Everyone asks me about being excited, and of course it's exciting, but it's also sad. I really do love the kids I teach, even the ones that drive me nuts! I want the best for them, I want them to be happy, I want them to feel safe, I want them to know how special they are. I love the opportunity I have to shape - even in just a small way, the lives of so many young people.
One of my favourite things to do at school is run a talent show. The last few years we've done the show the last week of school in June. This year we moved it up so I could still do it. The show today was awesome. The kids were awesome. There is always something in the show that is really special, today there were two such moments.
The first was for one student Z.C. He is autistic and of course with that come many challenges. He loves music. I taught him for the first time in grade 2 and now he's a grade 8 student. He has been taking private singing lessons for a little while now and his homeroom teacher really wanted him to perform in the talent show. I was hesitant at first, I didn't want the kids to be unsupportive, but his homeroom teacher was sure that they would support him. The first hurdle was getting him to audition. He was terrified and I didn't want to make him do the audition, but his homeroom teacher knew he could do it and she pushed him and he did it, and it was great. I accompanied him today while he sang Imagine by John Lennon. It was beautiful and he was so happy. His parents came to watch and they were so happy too. They got to see their baby shine in front of all his peers. I can't really imagine what that must of meant to them.
The second was for me. Several students put together a rap for me, it was terrible and so special. They made me stand on stage (which I am terrible at) while they rapped for me. It was really cute, but the best thing, the image that is just seared to my brain right now is the standing ovation I received from the kids. All of the kids, all of the grade 6, 7, and 8 students stood up and cheered and clapped for me. I didn't cry today - I almost did, but I'm crying right now as I write this.
Today was a wonderful, weird, good and sad day. Just like it should have been.
1 comment:
Sounds like an amazing day. I am especially touched by what you said about ZC. Would have loved to be there.
Thanks for doing that for the kids at BWPS.
JR
Post a Comment