Seventy-two.
Tonight we went to Mom and Dad's to celebrate Dad. My brother Andrew and my Dad's cousin Nancy were there also. We had a lovely evening.
I'm not sure what to say now. Have I talked about the hospital stuff too much? One year ago it seemed like Dad would never get out of the hospital. The worst was mostly over but there was so far to go, it seemed so insurmountable so many times. But I suppose someone forgot to tell Dad that it was too difficult. No wait, that's wrong, he was told that he'd never walk again. He was told that he'd have to be in a nursing home. He was told that his life would never be the same; that is perhaps the only truth he was told.
We usually see my parents weekly and Dad is always eager to tell me of his new tricks. This past week in his physical therapy he was working on getting out of deep chairs. He also showed me that he could push his walker ahead and then take three steps to it. You don't know what you are made of until you are pushed to your limits. I always knew Dad was a fighter and fight he has. And beside him through this whole impossible journey has been Mom telling him to fight, that he would come home, that he would walk.
Kate asked her Grandpa if she could blow out the candles. (We had told Kate that she could blow out Alice's candles at her birthday party... and then we forgot... and then there were tears. AND she has talked about her disappointment MANY times. I hope this cures her of it... we'll see!)
A few more fun pics from the evening.
I love my family. I am so thankful for my family. Happy Birthday Daddy! I love you!
2 comments:
that was really lovely Wendy. I love Dad too.
I miss Teddy alot! :( I miss all of you! xx :)
Post a Comment