Saturday, January 11, 2020

Stewart Irvine - Memorial Service






My Mom messaged me on December 28th to tell me that Stewart had passed away that afternoon. Two and a half years ago his family prepared for his passing, but then his wife Ruth told him that he wasn't allowed to die, so he didn't.

When I think of Steward Irvine, Bro. Irvine, I think of a kind, good, hard working man. He was always there at all church functions, serving with a smile. My fondest memory of him was as my chorister in primary. I'm not sure if it was my last year, or last two years in primary (10/11 years of age) but he was there leading the music every week. I remember doing Mary's Lullaby at Christmas time, it's become one of my favourite Christmas songs in the children's song book.

Today Monique spoke first. Monique is two years older than me, and we were in young women's together. She read a letter she had written to her Dad the week before he died. It was really sweet.

Then Bro. Black spoke about his many memories. Stewart was one of his counselors when he was the bishop. He spoke about Robbie Burns' nights, his singing, his performing, his scouting, camp trips.

Bro. MacDonald spoke next, and recounted many of the same ideas, camping, scouting, Robbie Burns, singing, performing. But he also spoke about Steward being a father figure to him, and a grandparent of sorts to his kid. He was someone they could count on in their lives, for things they needed, and for fun!

It was funny, that so many of the stories were about camping, but it came out that Stewart didn't actually like camping!

Then it was his son David's turn to speak. David shared parts of his life history that Steward had written - at least up until 2001.

He was born in Scotland in 1935 - he had two brothers, Jackie and Eric. Jackie was 13 years older and served in WW2 and they had a map and they would mark where their brother was. Stewart didn't love school and finished school at 15.

He met Ruth and fell in love with her when they were 18. They met at some club that he was part of that involved dirt bikes. I can't remember when they were married. But Stewart had been called into military service and was given 72 hours leave to go and get married. Stewart served in Cyprus. I think in all he served for eighteen months before he was able to come home to his wife and really start their life together. He was a badminton champion in his regiment.

At some point he got a new job and they moved to a place called Carlisle and because there was a delay in the construction of their apartment, they were living in a house when the missionaries came and knocked on their door. They joined the church in Carlisle three weeks later. They were sealed in the London temple around a year later, and the two missionaries that baptized them were able to come.

They had a blessing a year or so later because children weren't coming, but then as David phrased it, that first best thing to happen happened in 1964(?) I think, David was born. Then the second best thing in 1968 Howard was born. On January 11, 1969 they moved to Canada, and lived with Stewart's brother Eric and his family for three weeks while they got settled. Then the third best thing, Monique was born in 1971.

Stewart worked in construction first. Then he was a building inspector for the city of Toronto for a short time, then he was an employee of CIBC as a building inspector and he traveled all over Ontario.

He talked about some of his callings. He talked about the opportunity they had in 2002 to serve a mission. They were called and served for eighteen months in Australia.

And then I had to leave! I feel badly that today was a busier day than I thought it was going to be. I'm grateful that Stewart Irvine was part of my life. I'm grateful to have known this kind, honest, good man. He was funny and full of life and I'm thankful for the positive influence he had in my life.

No comments: