Monday, January 20, 2020

I felt so sad and so defeated last night. I was beside myself at the thought of being on strike today. We had a P.D. Day last week, so Day 5 got bumped, and then Day 5 would be strike day and so there would be no Day 5 again this week. That thought alone was making me crazy. Three of my classes I only see once a week on Day 5.

The thought of having to walk around in a circle for three hours for a cause I feel very confused about, this was also plaguing me. The thought of trying to figure out where to park, what to wear in the -23 degree weather. It seems kind of dumb writing it all down, but I was spiraling and feeling so miserable.

This morning Ken said prayers with me and Kate. One of the things he asked was "help Wendy to feel better about what's she's doing today". I thought, yeah right, not possible. I don't like being in a work to rule situation. I don't like striking. I've only had one strike day previous to this. It was in the late fall of 2012 when I was pregnant with Fiona. I've been in work to rule situations many times. I don't like them. I'm not okay when I can't do my job the way I want to do it. I want to do concerts and band and choir, and for the love of all that's good report cards. Don't even get me started on not doing report cards! When I can't do my job it's just not okay. Not. Okay.

Today the sun was shining. I had some good conversations with people. There was camaraderie. So many people that drove past us striking were happily honking their support. The principals and vice-principals started showing up. (There were teachers from four schools at Kleinburg P.S.)

When Thang and Brian (our VP and Principal) showed up, it warmed my heart in a way I can't quite describe. Brian really stands back from things at times, so when he leans in, you notice. But oh my goodness, the thing that meant more to me than anything was when I saw the Director of  Education for our board - Louise Sirisko. I stopped and thanked her for coming. To see her there, it felt like, what we're fighting for really is legitimate, and that gave me such great comfort. And then there it was, the answer to Ken's sweet prayer for me.

I'm nervous about how long this is all going to go on, but I know that my Heavenly Father is watching over me. I feel so very grateful.

No comments: