Monday, August 12, 2019

Sometimes...

When people talk about marriage being work, and marriage being hard, and and and. I mostly disagree. Being married to Ken is easy. We've had problems and stresses, we've had sickness and money fun, and the children... if that doesn't stretch you, what will?!?! BUT through it all, Ken is my partner, my equal, my best friend, my everything.

I said that to Alice - well, actually to all the girls at some point this summer, and Alice totally called me on it.

"Mom, he can't be your everything. What is he, your air? Your food? Your clothing? Mom, Dad is not your everything!" And then she giggled because she thought she was pretty smart.

Yesterday on the way home from Ottawa Ken and I had a disagreement. His point of view was completely different from mine, and I was upset. I was really, really upset. I don't get upset at Ken very often, but when I do my world feels upside-down.

I went to bed upset. I woke up upset. I felt upset all day. And then we had a date. A wonderful friend of mine is a singer and an actor. She was performing in a play and had gotten us tickets. We had arranged everything before we left for Ottawa - when I still liked Ken (just kidding... mostly).

Ken and I left on our date and I was still upset. We drove to the train station and talked. We rode the train downtown and we talked some more. We walked to the play and we talked. We saw the play. We hugged Zorana and chatted with her in the street afterwards for a few minutes. We walked to a restaurant and had dinner (beside a totally awkward couple on a date - maybe a first date - shudder), and we talked. We walked back to the train, and we chatted more. We rode the train home and chatted more.

I remembered why I liked him. Sorrys were said and my world felt right again. My marriage to Ken isn't hard because for the most part we know how to disagree without hurting each other. We're both quick to say sorry, quick to say I love you. I am always thinking about how to make him happy, and he's always thinking about how to make me happy. We're both each other's number one. We take time to have fun with each other without the kids, and as a family with the kids. We both work outside the home, and inside the home. And he makes me laugh. I love my Ken so much, and I'm so thankful for him.





No comments: