Monday, August 05, 2019

Dad's Grave

I think the weirdest thing for me is looking at my pedigree chart on Family Search. My Dad has a death date. It's no longer some far away unknown date, it's there, final, but of course, not final! Dad passed away on November 12, 2018. We had his funeral on the 17th and he was buried that day. Mom and I spoke about getting a headstone, but it never seemed to be the right time. Over March break we made time, and went up to Newmarket and picked out a headstone for Dad's grave. At some point in July it was installed.

Today the girls and I went up to the cemetery to go see the stone and go say hi to Grandpa. I know he isn't there. I know his spirit lives on, but I really liked going there and feeling connected physically to him. The headstone is really beautiful.

Mom was teary. I imagine what it's like sometimes to be without my sweetheart, but actually living it, day to day is something I don't want to know anything about for a long, long time.

I like cemeteries. I find them peaceful sacred places. I like the plot I picked because it's really easy to find. I'm glad for this space, this place.






After visiting the grave, we went to lunch at Wendy's, and then Mom came over. She and the girls watched a movie and then we had dinner. It was a quiet sort of day, and that was nice.

No comments: