I remember when Spencer W. Kimball came, I was only six, but I remember. I don't remember anything he said, but I know that I saw a prophet. In August 1998 when Gordon B. Hinckley came to Hamilton I was excited to go and listen to a prophet. I don't remember what he said, but I remember his wife saying that we needed to do something to grow our testimony each day - those words have stayed with me, even twenty years later.
When we were told the prophet - now Russell M. Nelson was coming to Hamilton I was excited. Excited for me, but also so excited for my girls. It's one thing to see the prophet through video link, it's quite another to be literally in his presence.
The girls were excited to go see the prophet. Everything was so well organized. We were given maps and parking passes. The doors were to open at 4:30 and the conference/meeting would begin at 6. We left a little later then we planned to, we missed the parking lot the first time, and by the time we got there, the arena was nearly full. We were able to find five seats, three in front, and two behind and my girls were able to see the prophet. It was a beautiful, beautiful meeting. It was so uplifting and so inspiring. Every time I think about it my eyes fill with tears and I'm just so thankful for a prophet, and so thankful that he came to visit us.
The area seventy and his wife spoke, as did Elder Andersen and his wife, and then the prophet and his wife. These are the notes that I took.
Sister Shelley Bennett - sometimes we only see the trials, we have to have faith
Elder Randall K. Bennett - when he was six, he sat and listened to a prophet - bore witness and gave testimony about Joseph Smith and the Savior - do better, become better
Sister Kathy Andersen - testimony - I know my redeemer lives - story of Pres. Nelson, was encouraged in a meeting to learn Chinese, he's prayed for 40 years for the Chinese people - follow the prophet, a way will be opened, nothing is impossible
Elder Neil L. Andersen - Friday, Winnepeg, Saturday, Montreal - Jan 14 2018, stood in the circle, Dallin H Oaks, ordained and set apart Russell M Nelson as the prophet, testified of the prophet - Priesthood - there would be a gathering, all things as one in Christ - we sometimes may overly associate the priesthood with men, if a man walks into a room and opens the curtain to let in the light, he doesn't own the sunlight, he doesn't own the warmth - do we use priesthood blessings the way we need to? (story of a visit to a family in New Jersey) - we all need the blessings of the priesthood - 2002, area presidency in Brazil, he got a blessing from Elder Nelson before leading a meeting, we have the priesthood of God, let us not diminish that power
Sister Wendy Nelson - born in Raymond - spoke of the devotional to the youth - the preparation and the assault from the adversary, the fight with sin is real - Hymn, Where Can I turn for Peace - where can I run?, March 31 - peace - overwhelming peace - a sacred witness given to her, twice, the exact same way before her husband was sustained as the prophet - she could get on any witness stand and testify that he is a prophet - the Lord instructs his prophet - he - the prophet is wakened in the night to receive revelation - at almost 94, he is becoming more and more who he was meant to be - was fore-ordained to be a prophet - words of Bruce R. McConkie - quote about Spencer W. Kimball, but she applied it to her husband - He knew and worshiped the Lord Jehovah, who was “like unto God.” (Abr. 3:24.)
He was a friend of Adam and Enoch. He took counsel from Noah and
Abraham. He sat in meetings with Isaiah and Nephi. He served in the
heavenly kingdom with Joseph Smith and Brigham Young. - bore powerful testimony about how her husband receives revelation - the prophet is to gather Israel on both sides of the veil - what would we be prompted to do, or not do, if we prayed to draw closer to Heavenly Father and Jesus - we need to be His Saints
President Russell M. Nelson
- Teach children to pray - they really can communicate with Heavenly Father
- Teach them about Jesus, teach them Jesus established this church
- the name of the church - correct errors, this is the Church of Jesus Christ
- Teach children why we partake of the sacrament - why the bread, why the water
- Teach them this is the restored Church of Jesus Christ - to collect scattered Israel
- The first draft of the Book of Mormon manuscript was printed - quill of a turkey feather, no punctuation, beautiful script - Oliver Cowdry sent by the Lord to help translate - April 7, 1829 - 65 working days on translating, Joseph Smith also received 12 sections of the Doctrine and Covenants, they translated about nine pages/day - when Pres Hinckley encouraged people to read the Book of Mormon by the end of the year - translation took less time - Orson Pratt changed verses to what we recognize today (1876?)
- Read the Scriptures to your children - start with the stories (listed Old Testament stories, let them get into the real text, Father's you need to read - your children need to hear your voice reading the scriptures (they've already memorized the sound of their mother's voice)
- Let children receive Father's blessings - a great purpose of the church - to strengthen families
- Have pictures of family up in your home
- Help children to qualify to serve a mission
- Children should learn another language - it's good for the mind
- Help them to be worthy to go to the temple - everything leads to the temple
- Help them to be tithe payers - we teach tithing in the poorest nations on the earth - the way to break the cycles of poverty is to pay tithing
- Teach about the Word of Wisdom
- the perilous plague of Pornography - the body has ways of flushing out toxins, but not the mind, the best way to protect the mind is to never let those pictures in - no escape channel - PREVENT
- Help children get all the education they can, it is difficult, but so important, they can be able to help/do good for others
- Teach children to be good citizens, of their country and church
- Children are precious
- Write a letter to each of your children/grand children - your hopes, wishes, testimony, faith
Then he left us with a blessing - feast on His words, apply His words, be exemplary - quiet/calm/considerate disposition, focus on the temple, the blessings there for you - healing blessing in line with God's will - leave his testimony, gather Israel, Love, appreciation for leaders, families, prosper in the land
It was an amazing night. I felt so good, so good to hear the word of the Lord from the mouth of the prophet. The counsel for parents was so uplifting. My heart is still so full as I sit here typing all of my notes. It was such a blessing to be in the same room as the prophet - and his amazing wife Wendy - her powerful testimony of how the prophet receives revelation. Her testimony of him being the prophet, it was powerful.
I'm thankful for the gospel of Jesus Christ. I thankful for the church, for the leadership, for all that they sacrifice and do to inspire and uplift us. I know that Russell M. Nelson is a prophet of God, and I am so thankful that he came to Hamilton to speak to us.
(The pictures were taken from Neil L Andersen's facebook page, and Jim MacDonald's facebook page - I didn't take a picture from where I was sitting - I was on the opposite side from Jim, I wish I'd taken a picture.)



No comments:
Post a Comment