Saturday, August 18, 2018

Summer Fun at Home - August 13 - 19

Monday - the annual swim party at Gayla's parents! I think it's so fun that we've been doing this every year since 2012! Gayla and I taught together at Blue Willow P.S. way before either of us had kids. We bonded when she was adopting around the time I got pregnant with Kate. We shared our crazy journeys! I think that Gayla taught for one year at Blue Willow after Jake, but I'm not sure. In any case, her parents house in Richmond Hill has now been the scene of our yearly pool fun. Jennifer Rosenberg who I taught with for a long time, and she went to school with Jonathan, she was able to come today too - so fun. She has the cutest little boy, Seth, who will be two next week. He talked non stop and sang to himself, oh my goodness, happiest little boy. Jake, Liam, Kate, Alice and Fiona played really, really well together for almost four hours... and then it went a little sideways as it does! But all in all, such a great afternoon! Pictures - 2012 - 2017!
 2012
 2013
 2014
 2015
 2016
 2017
And now, this year's pics!










We had a great time, and I'm so glad that Gayla and I took a pic. We need to make that part of the picture taking tradition too! I love traditions!

Tuesday - The Science Centre with the Beitz family!! I almost got there at the same time as Sarah, almost... and she only came from Alliston! Yeesh, leaving the house is not something I'm good at doing in a timely fashion. But seriously, we were stuck for ten minutes turning from Eglinton onto Don Mills - the construction is nuts! The Beitz's were having their lunch when we got there, so we got out the picnic blanket and had a couple of snacks, but my girls weren't all that interested in eating at the time. Next we walked over to the front of the building and watched bottle rockets being launched a few times. It was pretty cool. Then after several trips to the bathroom and waiting, we were ready to play!
 First stop - Kidspark!















Then we left the kids area and were planning to go right into space, but we got incredibly distracted by the machine with all the balls, where one ball falls onto another thing, and then something else is set in motion - I don't what's its called, but the kids were all distracted and playing, and when we were finally ready to go, we were missing a William!


Thankfully he was located in less than a minute, security already having found him, and they had begun looking for Sarah. William stayed close after that, he wouldn't let go of his Mama!

We enjoyed space, and this was where the girls started to connect with each other. Thomas, who is essentially the same age as Kate had brought a friend Mitchell, and Kate looked like she was going to hang out with them, but she never really did, she did her own thing, and we did things together. Abigail and Fiona were really cute together as were Bridget and Alice. At one point we were looking at a moon rock, and Abigail was flabbergasted that it was an actual rock, from the actual moon. It was really cute!




Then we were off down, down, down. We were deciding where to go, when we were approached by some researchers looking for kids 3-5 to participate in a research study. Abigail, Fiona and William participated in the research, and then the rest of the kids became makers, Kate became a wanderer, but the kids were so engaged.













Then we were off to the rain forest.




Then it was late, and my kids hadn't really eaten lunch, so we went back to the lockers, got our food, and sat and ate. Then they started running. They had a really great time. It was sad to pull them away, but I was good to go before the traffic got any worse! We had so much fun with our Beitz friends! Until next time, which hopefully won't be too far away!
Tonight the girls and I watched the last episode of the first season of Little House on the Prairie. We have had so many great conversations, and so much enjoyment from this show.

Wednesday - Lake Wilcox. Yesterday when I was waking up I got a notification that I was added to an event. Sacha added me to a picnic at Lake Wilcox with some other Mom's from Richmond Hill Ward. Lindsey - the Mom who organized it is someone I've known for years, so it was fun to see both of them. It was a stinking hot day, but we were prepared with ice packs in our picnic lunch, and we found a bit of shade, and there's an amazing splash pad. The park at Lake Wilcox has been totally redone in the last few years and it is amazing. The girls had a blast, and even though it was jam packed with kids, we still found a spot to be, and it didn't feel insane.

I've known Sacha since she was two, I was her beehive adviser when she was twelve... I've always loved her to pieces, and I just love that I still get to be part of her life!


















Driving home I stayed north for a while. This was our third time in less than a week driving through country-side. Kate and I really appreciated it. It's always so lovely driving through green and not concrete. I do miss living north sometimes - although truly there's lots and lots of green in Ajax, and the lake of course! I had Kate take some pics out the window for fun.

On the way home we picked up Saraliyah for a promised play date. It went sort of well... Kate's little sisters wouldn't leave them alone - which was what was promised! Ah well, wouldn't be fun without fighting - oy! Saraliyah stayed for dinner, then we all went out to take her home and do some errands.



Canadian Tire - goggles, borax, and diving weights! We're exciting to try them out at Grandma's. And then the library to return some books and find Little House on the Prairie season 2. YAY!

Thursday - Zorana and Ciaran day! Well, afternoon really, but we'll take what we can get! We cleaned the front hall this morning, the bathroom, and the sweeping, so much sweeping. The main floor is feeling half peaceful! I still haven't done any organizing of the hutch, kitchen or office... but I still plan to, I think!

Ciaran and Zorana came over mid-afternoon and the children were sent to play, so Zorana and I could chat. It sort of worked, but eventually while the kids were painting rocks, Zorana and I went upstairs to "hide" so we could get a few sentences in without interruption! The kids had fun, and so did we, and like always it just wasn't enough time to visit.





After they left I decided to make quiche for dinner - but didn't turn the oven on... oops! So while we were waiting for the quiche to be finished, after we ate our vegetables, we made slime!
The girls have been asking to make slime forever, so they were in heaven. HEAVEN!






I'm not sure when we first started talking about the Wizard of Oz, but we watched it as a family last night. It was fun, I liked it more than I remembered. It was never a movie I cared for as a kid - perhaps it was too scary, I don't know, but the girls all seemed to enjoy it!
Friday - swimming at Grandma and Grandpa's. I didn't take any pictures today... but I got a fun picture sent to me. While we were making lunch Andrew called because he was in a ditch. He didn't have his CAA number and needed to get towed out. Kelly and I sent a few messages back and forth and she sent me this fun pic of the car.
The girls had a great swim today. Fiona was super brave and did some swimming without her floaties. She really wants to learn how to swim. Next week I'm going to register her for swimming lessons, so I hope we can keep this momentum going until then! We had a nice visit with Grandma and Grandpa too.

We came home later than planned, the girls were a little fragile, so Ken picked up Swiss Chalet for dinner and we had a quiet evening at home.

Saturday - sometimes you can't tell if we're going to do something or not. We move very slowly sometimes.
We got some things done and then we hopped in the car, drove to the LRT and after some waiting - problems on the tracks, we were at the ROM. We went to the spider exhibit - the special exhibit on right now. I didn't really care to see it, but Kate wanted to confront her fears so we went. It was interesting, even if I was learning things I didn't want to learn! There was one really awesome thing - this cape. Spiders - I can't remember how many, had their silk taken and from all of this spider silk a cape was made. Then we went upstairs and did the kid stuff we usually do.


























Before we got on the subway we had really yummy ice cream on Yorkville. It was so good! Homemade waffle cones too! Sometimes life calls for dessert first!
On the way home we decided to try going out to an Indian Restaurant. The girls like some Indian dishes, and they love rice and na'an. I would say it was a successful venture. We all ate, even though Fiona said she didn't like anything, she ate about half her meal before she started protesting. Zeera by the Bay in Pickering is so yummy!
Originally I was going to post Sunday in here too, but the prophet's visit is just too special - it deserves it's own post!


No comments: