First were the invitations.
After the invitations it was a matter of bringing the story to life. When the kids arrived they played with the toys and in small groups we decorated their loot bags.
Some were decorated by kiddies...
...and some were decorated by mommies.After the loot bag decorating we played pin the party-hat on Dora. The game would have worked better if I had a blind fold.
Our first stop was Kate's room. We were met by the Grumpy Old Troll. Their first challenge was a ball toss. The kids were entranced!
Our second stop was the guestroom on the lower level. The kiddies had to fish for cupcakes.
Our last stop/challenge was in the basement. As soon as we got there I realized this was a mistake as the only thing the kids wanted to do was play with all the toys! Marisol however was right into it and she and Kate found all the puzzle pieces.
All the kids came up to the living room and they took turns hitting the pinata.
A word or two about the pinata...
I made it. I used a balloon, newspaper, and a homemade paper mache recipe. I did three layers of newspaper, painted it white, then yellow and then glued on strips of orange triangles made of card stock. I thought it was pretty awesome. I didn't think it would be so tough?!
The three year olds all took several turns hitting the pinata. Mostly they were gentle taps.
The Grumpy Old Troll stepped in and saved the day!
After a few last whacks from Elijah (and a surprised me and his Mama)...
CANDY! My brilliant husband bought little bags from the bulk food store and made one candy bag for each child thus avoiding any nasty kind of free for all.
Then there was a pause to enjoy lunch.
After the kids at lunch they all played in the basement while the parents ate lunch. It was lovely. Again it was the G.O.T. and Swiper that entertained and kept the peace. They were awesome, they made the party. Kate was SO excited.
William and Lydia turned the crawl space into the GOT's lair.
I suppose there was one little man that didn't play in the basement. Ciaran wasn't to sure about the whole thing and stayed pretty close to Mom and Dad, sweet sensitive boy!
The best part of the party for me was watching Kate at cake time. She was so excited. She loved being sung to.
A word about the cake first. Antoinette who looked after Kate (and will soon look after Kate and Alice) used to make lots of cakes. She doesn't make cakes very often right now but agreed to make the Dora cake for Kate's party. It looked as good as it tasted... even after Kate poked the map in the eye!
Now back to the enjoying of the cake...
She did such a good job blowing out the candles.
Everyone clapped once she had blown out the candles and Kate looked so happy it almost made me tear up. It was so special for her.
Kate really enjoyed her cake. Long after everyone else finished she was still happily eating her cake. I'm so glad that I discovered that she liked chocolate cake last week at Elijah's party.
Then it was time to take a group picture before they all started passing out. (Alice was sleeping.)
We took a picture of Kate and Alice in their cute matching outfits. The outfits were Christmas presents from Antoinette. She buys the cutest clothes. (She and Shawn buy the cutest clothes.)
And last but not least the birthday girl with her balloon bouquet.
I wanted today to be magical and it was. Kate was so happy. It really was the best birthday party ever.
Thanks go to Ruth Yung-Plumb for taking a lot of these pictures.

1 comment:
Wendy, you really are a party planner! What a great party!
Post a Comment