Saturday, June 04, 2011

Alice receives her name and a blessing

Not long after Alice was born Ken brought up blessing her and I cried.  I wanted my Dad to be there and no one was sure when he would be getting out of the hospital.  We decided to wait.  About two weeks ago I decided that we'd waited long enough and that if we were going to bless Alice while she was still a baby we needed to make some plans.  Babies are typically blessed on fast Sunday in church and with that in mind I decided that we would bless her June 5th in our ward in Orangeville.  I wanted my Dad's approval but didn't know how to ask for it.  I phoned him and instead of asking for his approval I said, that we wanted to bless Alice and we wanted him there.  All that day he told Mom he had to get out of the hospital because he had to bless Alice.  She finally told him that I wanted his permission to go ahead and bless Alice on the 5th.  The next day when I phoned him he gave me his blessing - I didn't know this was prompted by Mom.  We started to plan.  Then Mom suggested we bless Alice at the hospital, that way my Dad could participate.

Everything came together beautifully.  Ken's parents were able to come, and three of his sisters.  My brother Andrew was able to come as well as my Dad's cousin Nancy and two family friends, Irene and Marge.  We reserved the meditation room in the A Wing of the hospital, which is in the rehab wing of the hospital where Dad has been for a few months now.  It was a beautiful day and Alice and Kate both behaved beautifully.  After the blessing Ken's family came to our house for a meal and some visiting.

I was pleased with the photos that were taken... however, I wish I would have taken a photo of Alice with her Dad, just Kate and Alice, and one of Laura and Joaquin.  And of course I didn't take any pictures of the little party afterwards... oops!

Alice in transit




















Kate and her Uncle Andrew




















Grandpa Bacon and Papa McCartney
















Irene Black and Alice




















Nancy Fine and Alice




















The meditation room, York Central Hospital, A Wing.
















Uncle Andrew and Alice.




















My sweet little family!!
















Alice and her Mom and Dad.
















Alice and her Mom.




















Alice and her Grandpa - the first time he's been able to hold her.
















Brother and Sister.
















Enjoying the beautiful weather...
















and the lovely company.
















It really is a nice outdoor area...




















for patients and their loved ones to spend time together.
















Lisa and her daughter Kristen - trying to look un-posed.
















Alice and her Grandma




















Alice and her cousin Kristen




















Baby Rachael loves Baby Alice
















Three of Ken's four sisters - Lisa, Laura and Maureen
















Ken and his sisters
















Alice with her Nana and Papa
















Alice with her Grandma and Grandpa




















Our precious Alice was blessed to be strong in her faith, to seek an education, to find a worthy husband and be sealed in the temple.  She was also blessed to be an example to her friends and family and to maintain a positive attitude during times of adversity.
Alice - your Mom and Dad love you so much!

2 comments:

Heather said...

LOVE THIS! Made me cry, so sweet, and so glad you did this. What a special, once in a lifetime, positive experience!

mommy's thoughts! said...

Sounded like a great day! Alice looked so cute! I love the dress. You always dress your girls so beautiful.