Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father's Day - My Dad

I've had this as my profile picture on facebook for a while now.  I'm not taking it down until my Dad is out of the hospital.  I'm not sure what is happening in this picture.  I think it's Marineland, and if it's the time that a deer nibbled on my finger, Dad might be comforting me... or maybe he's just helping me feed the deer.  I like the picture.

Yesterday we got to do a really fun thing.  Dad has been in the hospital for going on six months... too long.  Between December and February he was in and out of the ICU four times.  Four times he nearly died.  Four times he had to be intubated with a breathing tube.  He went down to 130 lbs.  Getting his throat to recover to the point where he can have water and real food has been a struggle.  He's had numerous failed swallowing tests.  On Friday he finally passed the test.  Dad has been dying (perhaps not the best word choice?) for a cheeseburger.  Yesterday we took him a cheeseburger, fries and a coke.  Mom says she wished I'd gotten a photograph of Dad's face.  I'm glad we could do this... such a ridiculously simple thing, but it meant so much to him.  He should be getting out of the hospital in the next month or so.   The hospital part will soon be behind him.  Watching Mom and Dad through this crazy time has been at times devastating, but at other times it has been tremendously inspiring.  Mom has been there for Dad everyday (save one or two).  And Dad has endured with a positive attitude (almost everyday!).  I'm so glad he's my Dad.

1 comment:

Bates Blogger said...

I can imagine his face. I wish you had a picture too. So happy he can eat "real" food again :)