After the sad Berry-Fairy ordeal I was still optimistic that Kate would enjoy Halloween...
Kate and I flew home from New Hampshire on Friday the 30th. I wanted us to spend Kate's first Halloween together as a family. I was moving in slow motion on Saturday morning and well the morning turned into afternoon. We decided to go grocery shopping in Alliston. We were going to purchase a pumpkin, go home and carve the pumpkin and decorate for Halloween. About five minutes before we got to the grocery store, Kate fell asleep.
I had dressed her in her costume because all of the store owners in Alliston hand out candy on Halloween and even though we wouldn't be asking for candy I wanted Kate to be in costume too. I had orginally tried to dress her in the Berry-Fairy costume - silly me. The minute I put it on her she started to cry. I had wanted to do a midday costume change. I wanted to start with the Berry-Fairy and then switch after we'd carved the pumpkin. I was worried about goo. However, Kate has expensive taste it would seem and she refused to wear the cheap Berry-Fairy costume. So I put the Tinkerbell costume on, so Kate could look cute in the car?!
This is me waiting...(I was bored, not angry) Ken was in the grocery store for an hour. Then we drove to Canadian Tire... and still she slept.
Kate woke up when we were pulling out of the Canadian Tire parking lot. We drove home through Beeton so that we could buy a pumpkin from a stand, as the supermarket was sold out. We bought a five dollar pumpkin from the first stand that we saw. They had a locked metal money container attached to a post in the ground with prices beside all of the different sized pumpkins and gourds. The only money we had was an American $5.00 bill. So I picked out a $5.00 pumpkin, put the money in the box and hoped they wouldn't mind... When we got home Kate and I set about cleaning out the pumpkin.
Next Ken took over and carved the pumpkin. I wanted a simple Jack-o-lantern. Ken gave it four teeth - because Kate has four teeth and he gave it a cute curl of "hair". Kate couldn't decide whether or not she liked it.
Ken had purchased the cute pumpkin lights earlier in the week. I thought they looked great.
We ordered pizza from the local place - for the first time. It was really good. Everything was looking great. The day had come together nicely...
...that is until the trick-o-treaters showed up! I thought for sure Kate would be tickled to see so many different kids come to the house. Boy was I wrong. The first set of kids brought on tears and sobs. The second set, more tears and sobs. I took her outside before the third set thinking that perhaps she would like to greet the kids outside, this seemed to work. For the fourth set we went back inside and there were more tears and sobs. I decided to put Kate out of her misery and after removing her from her costume, I put her to bed! And so ends our somewhat tragic tale of Kate's first Halloween.









No comments:
Post a Comment