Saturday, February 29, 2020

Growing Up

Wednesday was Kate's last day of aftercare, and today, today she got her own phone. On Wednesday when I picked her up I reminded her that she was done, and she had the biggest smile on her face. She was so excited. She's been asking for a phone for ages, well, not ages, but knowing that she was going to be walking home on her own, she wanted a cell phone. I was really on the fence about it. We don't have a home phone, but we have a google home, and two google minis and the girls can make phone calls on them. The other day Kate phoned me and I couldn't understand her at all. She called me back on Ken's phone, and was like, see, I need a phone.

We went to the mall, bought a prepaid phone, set her up with the cheapest plan, bought some talk minutes, and a case, and she's on her way. I got a key cut for her a few weeks ago and she was over the moon - the ravenclaw key chain made it all next level.

I feel calm, and excited, and a teensy bit nervous all at once - which is I think how you're supposed to feel. Kate is very level headed and she's my rule follower. She's really looking forward to some time on her own, walking home to decompress, and be in the house alone. I think she's going to get about a month before Alice is going to call aftercare quits, but we'll see.

I joke that Kate is 11 going on 40, not quite, but something like that. My baby!!

No comments: