Sunday, October 07, 2018

A Social Media Fast

Twice a year, my church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, holds General Conference. It's ten hours of broadcasts over two days. It's long and amazing and I feel so uplifted, so happy and so energized to improve myself after watching. We listen to the leaders of the church speak about gospel topics that they've been working on for months. We listen to our prophet speak. It is inspiring. I'm so grateful to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I'm so thankful for my testimony of Jesus Christ, for my relationship with him. I try to be like him, I fail everyday, but I keep trying. I want to help people to be happy, to feel loved.

On Saturday night at the General Women's Session our dear Prophet asked us women to do four things:
1) Observe a ten day social media fast, meditate and pray during this time to know which things to remove from your life.
2) Read the Book of Mormon between now and the end of the year, mark verses that speak of the Savior, be intentional in talking of Christ - teach those who you love what you learn in the scriptures.
3) Establish a pattern of temple attendance.
4) Participate fully in Relief Society. Read and study the purpose statement.

He encouraged us to leave the world behind.

There are so many other things that we were encouraged to do, be loving, be kind, look out for one another, take care of each other, serve each other, to walk the covenant path, to teach the gospel in our homes, build our foundations on Jesus Christ.

I'm going to stay off of Facebook and Instagram for ten days, and see how I feel. Try to figure out what my participation in social media really brings to my life. I know I love to connect with family. I know that I love to make people laugh, and share the real-ness of my life with Ken and the girls. I enjoy the interaction, I really do. I know sometimes I probably waste too much time scrolling and scrolling and scrolling forever, and other times I don't. I'm curious to see how I'll feel in ten days.

2 comments:

The Molina Family said...

I'm with you! I mean...if you read this.... Maybe in 10 days! I told joaquin that if I read book of mormon in the time I'm on social media I'll be set! (I'm including games on my phone In the fast too)

Unknown said...

I didn't participate on the RS broadcast. But I feel the prophet is once again raising the bar. It was 7days for youth. 10 days for the sister . You need to teach your child at home.because there is 1 hour less of church. I am grateful for a living prophet.