Thursday, September 20, 2018

Meet the Creature Gong Show

I was SO not happy tonight! ARGH! The girls really wanted to go to the BBQ, I didn't have a good feeling about it, but we all went anyway. Ken was going to meet us there. The girls and I didn't leave early enough, and I had to get cash first. Well, we finally made it to the yard, but the line up was so long, there was no way we were going to get food, and still get to talk to teachers.

At 6:30, the party moved inside and we then began making our way from classroom to classroom. Saying hello to Ms. Leonard - Kate's English teacher was fine, good. We waited forever to say hello to Mme. Rochealeau - Kate's French teacher, and it was kind of not worth the wait, she was kind of abrupt, not very friendly, and I kind of felt dumb having waited to say hello. Then we went to Fiona's classroom - it's nice knowing her teachers already and we looked around and said a quick hello. Then we went upstairs to Alice's class. Alice's teacher Mme. Mudahy was Kate's teacher two years ago. Talking to her tonight, it was slightly distressing. I thought Alice and the moodiness wasn't a thing any more because I hadn't heard about it. Mme. Mudahy told me tonight, at meet the teacher night that sometimes Alice's unhappiness is affecting her ability to do her work, although she isn't behind because she's so smart.

If there's anything I've gotten better at in the last few years, it's parent communication. For the most part, parents want to know what their children are doing in school. If you never tell them, they'll never know.

After hearing this from Alice's homeroom teacher, I thought I'd touch base with Mme. Mudahy's team teacher and sometimes Alice's teacher for math and language. We all went across the hall and waited, and waited and waited, and waited to talk to this teacher. There was a parent talking and talking and talking - it's meet the creature, not parent teacher interview night. It just shows how hungry parents are for communication about their children. Anyway, having not eaten, the girls getting crazier, I was not happy, and then another parent who had just wandered into the room interrupted, and started talking to the teacher, even though I'd been waiting.

I looked at Ken and said, no, I just can't and we walked out. We went to Smoke's as was promised, and the girls had hot dogs and poutine. It was a frustrating night all the way around.

I'm not sure why I wanted to write this post so badly. Meet the teacher is NOT the same as parent teacher interview night, and sometimes things do not turn out the way that you want and frustration sets in. The girls were still happy, I met Kate's very good friend Stella's parents, so that was good. The girls were happy visiting their classrooms. The night was not a total loss. Me and patience, that will probably always need work and attention. And bottom line, I am happy with the girl's school, and the quality of their education. We have free, public education, it's a good thing.






No comments: