Wednesday, July 04, 2018

Utah - the drive - day two

The girls went to bed... Fiona woke up I can't remember if it was 1:30 or 2:00, she had diarrhea, then she barfed. Then she barfed. Then she barfed again. She fell asleep on the floor, I covered her up, and then it was Alice, and then it was Kate. It was awful. It was so awful. There was mess, there were two at once. The front desk guy was able to bring up some supplies, and eventually everyone stopped being sick and I was able to get some sleep.

Some where in the midst of the chaos when I was feeling so completely undone and panicked I prayed with Alice. I felt calm and peace, and the assurance that it would be okay, that we could carry on with this trip. I am so grateful for prayer, and for the comfort it brings.

Needless to say we didn't get an early start. Suzanne went to Target and procured some extra just in case supplies, and some how we all managed to get out of the hotel and on the road by 10. I felt a little fragile, but as the day wore on the girls were fine and I was fine.

We started out in Indiana, just a few miles shy of the Illinois state line, so we were in Illinois really quickly.
We went through a crazy cloud burst in Illinois, had to use the hazards, and slow right down, but thankfully it was over pretty quickly. We had mostly blue skies for the day, a few patches of cloud and rain, but none like that first burst.

It was cool driving over the Mississippi which is the dividing line between Illinois and Iowa. It felt like we were in the west when we crossed over. I was very excited, the girls ooed and ahhed, Fiona wanted me to take video.

We were in Iowa for a while, most of the day. We stopped in Davenport for lunch. We picked up subway sandwiches and went to a park. There was a group of it looked like college aged kids playing a pretty intense game of volleyball. Their language was so so awful. We didn't hang around for very long. And it was really, really hot.


Our next stop was a rest stop on the 80 just north of Council Bluffs. Even though we were at this point only an hour and twenty minutes away, and I didn't really want to stop, it was really nice to run around in the grass and stretch our legs. Fiona saw a pay phone and didn't know what it was - that was fun!  

Oh but before we got to the rest stop, there was a section of road that was really, really noisy. It is interesting to me how different road surfaces have different sounds. I told the girls that this road sound reminded me of when I was little and I thought a choir of people was stuck in the road and they were singing unhappily about it. Kate said she wished I hadn't told her, but Alice and Fiona thought it was hilarious, and Fiona then continued to talk about all of the crazy people trapped in the road that were going to get us... Giggles!







At the rest stop Suzanne let me know that we were really close to Winter Quarters - a pioneer LDS site. She wanted to know if I wanted to make time to go. The answer was yes!


The kids and I watched a movie - Just a Stone Carver - or something. The story of one of the stone masons who worked on the Salt Lake Temple - he was from England, last name Moyle I think. A man of incredible faith. He came through the area as a hand cart pioneer on his way to Salt Lake. The stories of faith, of endurance, of perseverance and sacrifice of the pioneers are so awe inspiring to me. Our tour of the centre was really lovely. There were lots of interactive displays for the kids to enjoy. I'm so grateful for the hard work of the pioneers, so grateful. Tonight after we got to the hotel Suzanne told me that she feels like our lives, living the gospel honours their sacrifices, and that their sacrifices should be honoured.




After everyone had a turn pulling the hand cart, we walked across the street to see the temple.







After our lovely visit we went through the drive-thru at McDonald's for a very late dinner, and continued on our way to Lincoln, Nebraska. The girls loved watching all of the fireworks all around them. Yay America Day! Of course none of the fireworks pictures taken with my cell phone from the van turned out, but it was awesome none the less!
It was such a long day, but alls well that ends well. I'm so thankful to be safely tucked into bed. Here's to hoping for a complete night's sleep for all!

No comments: