We woke up in Glenwood Springs, Colorado. Originally we had come here to go to the hot springs and swim, but with a misunderstanding about the hotel and the hot springs, we decided that sadly the hot springs were a no go. However, there was this gondola that went up the mountain that looked pretty cool so we decided that we would do that instead.
We ate breakfast, packed up the room, and went to buy tickets to the gondola. We're in line, reading all the information, and I'm not quite believing what I'm reading, or the map of a theme park at the top of the mountain... but there it is. After convincing Alice, we all went up to the top and low and behold, there's a whole theme park up there!
It was really cool. We obviously weren't going to spend the day at the theme park, but we got out, walked around, took some pictures, bought a magnet and then went back down. Alice was so scared at first. She didn't want to go up at all. She was almost in tears so many times. I don't know what it was that we said that finally convinced her, but up she went, and she was so proud of herself. Kate said she was having a hard time breathing because she was too high up, Ken wouldn't go near the edge of the lookout. Fiona and I were fine, but goodness, we are certainly not mountain goats!
We set off on the road again to enjoy whatever the 70 would bring. I did the driving. I don't like driving in the mountains. I don't feel at home in the mountains at all, but goodness they're beautiful. The drive was amazing. So amazing. We saw a sign with an elevation of 8400 feet, and we all exclaimed that we were at our highest point ever, only to get to Vail and see the sign for 10, 662 feet. So crazy. It was so beautiful.
We came around Denver, and there was lots of traffic, and all the big city stuff, and pretty abruptly the mountains were done. We came out of Denver onto the flat prairie. I've been to Denver before, flying in and out, many years ago, but I don't really remember it. I wasn't really prepared though for how flat and empty eastern Colorado would be! We were worried that we wouldn't find anywhere to eat lunch, but Ken found this cute diner in Bennett, Colorado, and we had a yummy lunch.
And then we were on the road. Our final destination was Hays, Kansas, the central time zone and more flat, flat prairie!
Tomorrow it's off to Nauvoo!




























No comments:
Post a Comment