Kate was Kate, Alice was Alice. There were a few other names we casually talked about, but Kate was Kate and Alice was Alice. Baby 3... Baby 3 was Henry, because I had so convinced myself that it was a boy. We had tossed around a few names - Lily and Rose being the top contenders but they never felt quite right. Ken and I assumed (incorrectly) that one of the reasons that we couldn't decide on a girl name was because in fact Baby 3 was a boy!
On Friday morning my Mom came to visit and meet our little girl. Ken arrived at some point and then it was work time. We began pouring over lists. We had to find a name. I didn't want our girl to be without a name.
Eventually Ken found his way to a Scottish name list and perked at Fiona. We only know a couple of Fiona's and none of them are in close association with our family. Ken liked it. I liked it. We had previously discussed Christine - Ken's Mom's name, as a middle name and that was pretty much settled.
Ken left the room to go get lunch and I sat staring at our little girl and asked her if her name was Fiona. I looked at her and she looked different. She was no longer a nameless baby girl, she was Fiona. Ken chose her name, but she chose her name too.
So here she is, Fiona Christine McCartney.
No comments:
Post a Comment