Thursday, June 06, 2013

Baby 3 is a GIRL?! I'm still in shock...

Baby Day! I got up at 5 a.m. and showered.  I woke Ken up at 5:30.  We managed to get to the hospital by 6:20 which was good.  After checking in at the Welcome Centre we went upstairs and we were admitted and set up in triage.  Then to wait... We were the "stand-by".  It's weird that the ob that I saw for Alice and for this baby was actually the doctor who delivered the baby.


So, just before 10 it looked like this was it, we were ready to go.  I walked down to the O.R. with one of the nurses.  I was sitting on the table waiting when another nurse popped her head in and said that they had a cord prolapse.  I got down off the table and IV bag in hand, headed back to triage, but not before almost being run over in the hallway by tons of people all RUNNING to the O.R.  They called it a code blue and well, you can imagine that sent everyone RUNNING!  (We did find out later that mom and baby were both fine, thankfully!)

Take two - at 11 we walked back down to the O.R.  This time it was the other room - the same one that Alice was born in.  The nurses prepped, the anaesthetist came and poked my back (yuck, but not as yucky as with Alice) and then Dr. Svystonyuk came in and everything started.  They brought Ken in and what seemed like forever later (okay maybe 10 minutes) the baby was out.  They asked Dad to stand up and announce the baby's gender and low and behold it's a GIRL!  I couldn't believe it.

Everyone, and I mean everyone said they thought it was a boy.  There was Ken's Dad when I was pregnant with Alice saying that we would have 2 girls and a boy.  There was me, I always felt 2 girls and a boy.  I was expecting Henry.  Now, before I go any further I need to clearly say, that in no way is this sweet baby girl a disappointment, in no way!  I just expected a he! 

Okay, back to our perfect little girl.  Ken took some pictures and then he held her while they finished up with me.



I held her as soon as we got to recovery and started nursing soon after.  It all felt so smooth and I felt so good - much better than after either Kate or Alice. 



We had a pretty peaceful afternoon.  We looked at our perfect little girl and mused about what to name her... no idea yet.  And we waited for the BIG SISTERS to arrive! 

Antoinette brought Kate and Alice, and Makenna and Abigail.






And just like that, we're a family of 5! 

No comments: