Monday, August 16, 2010

Davis Park - Fire Island

Forgetting your camera... is well, it just STINKS!!!!!!!!  Suzanne didn't think to bring her camera because when I'm around, I'm the photographer and I forgot to bring my camera because it was on the book shelf in the front room of Suzanne's house, not in the room I was staying in, so when I re-packed by stuff to go to the beach I didn't even notice I was missing my camera! ARGH!!!!!!!!!  So the beach - weekend for us, week for the others remains photographically undocumented. 

The beach idea was Monica's, one of Suzanne's dear friends from her time in Queen's.  The plan was to rent a big beach house on Fire Island and fill it up with friends and their families.  Ken and I decided to do a half week - which fell on the first weekend.  I must say I was completely unprepared for how taken I would be with the physical landscape of the place which made forgetting the camera that much more frustrating.

Fire Island is a tiny strip of land just south of Long Island, NY.  There are several communities along fire island.  We stayed in Davis Park which was directly south of Patchogue - where Monica lives.  There are no cars in Davis Park and there was only one store (which had run out of disposable cameras) so we needed to carry everything we were bringing onto the ferry, and then onto the island and then onto the house.  Suzanne and Monica were both staying for the whole week so the amount of stuff that was brought - mostly food, was overwhelming to say the least.

On the island you walked everywhere - of course, and you walked on board walks that connected the ocean side of the island to the bay side of the island.  There were no roads, just board walks forming streets that ran north/south and east/west.  The houses were all along the board walks, and the houses were all built on stilts. At the end of each north/south board walk was the ocean, so you were never more than a two minute walk to the ocean.

I've haven't been to an ocean beach in a while.  I forgot about the noise, the power and the smell.  The ocean is amazing.  Kate and I did lots of wading, she loved the water and the beach.  Ken actually went swimming - or at least he was tossed around by all the waves.

It was a relaxing lovely time, which we shared with good people who shared lots of yummy food!  I have one image of the island which I borrowed from either Monica or Jill, I don't remember.  I don't suppose I'll ever go back, but who knows... never say never!

1 comment:

Bates Blogger said...

It was such a unique place, wasn't it?