Sunday, August 25, 2024

Pittsburgh Temple Open House

A friend posted on Facebook in April that the Pittsburgh Temple Open House would take place in August. I googled it, it's only 5 hours away. I have wanted to take the girls to a temple open house so badly, but it is not something that happens every day. I talked to Alice and Fiona and they were excited about a road trip!

Fast forward to August when I talked about going and the girls weren't so sure they wanted to go in the car ever again! We've travelled a lot! Fiona was the most apprehensive because of how queasy she feels when we go on long car trips, but we told her it would be okay, and it was!

Ken spread his work out over the course of the week so he could cut out a few hours early on Friday. We hopped in the car and drove to Ken's parents in Port Colborne and told Milo we'd see him tomorrow. Then we got back on the road and drove the rest of the way to Pittsburgh.

Obligatory leaving the driveway pic! Fiona and Milo were in the way back so Ken sat in the middle so he could read Harry Potter to Fiona. He's such a good Dad!

I should have taken a pic when we said goodbye to Milo, but I forgot. I tried to take a pic in the middle of the bridge of the Canadian and American flags side by side, but missed and only got the American flag. 


We had dinner at Chick-Fil-A in Erie, Pennsylvania. This was the fun "toy" in Fiona's kids meal.
Our hotel room in Pittsburgh was great!
The temple was beautiful. Fiona wanted to wear her dress and asked me to wear mine with her in solidarity. I did. Everything was really well organized. We watched a video about temples in the Relief Society room in the chapel. And then we walked over to the temple. It was a self-directed tour through the temple with people waiting in each room to point us in the right direction or answer questions they could answer. As we were about to leave the temple Alice looked at me and said "Is it over? We have to leave now?" And the look on her face, it made me almost tear up. I didn't want to leave the temple either. The peace in the temple is real, even before it has been dedicated. Fiona was so happy. We were all so so glad that we went!





After leaving the temple we went to Target. We were in Target for a LONG time lol. Fiona got a cute pair of overalls and a cute shirt. Alice got a cute dress and shirt. We got some snacks. 

Ken got this pic from his Mom. Milo was a little barky during the night but he was doing okay.
Next we drove back to Erie and went to the exact same Chick-Fil-A. After our late lunch we went to Wegman's and bought fun groceries. I bought the yummiest gluten free peanut butter filled pretzels ever!!
Then it was on to Port Colborne, the grandparents and Milo.
Fiona, Alice and I took Milo and Bonnie for a walk.
We had pizza for dinner and we hung out with the grandparents.

Ken slept over at his parents with Milo and the girls and I stayed in a hotel. 
We all met at church in the morning. In the Welland ward they've printed all the new hymns and put them in duotangs in the pews. I love this idea!

Fiona made me this pic of the Pittsburgh Temple during sacrament meeting.
After church we went back to Ken's parents to hang out for a bit and grab the dog. Then we drove to Laura's. Ken BBQ'd and we visited with Laura, Joaquin, Alejandro, Ken, Chris, Lisa, Ken, Kristen and Rachael. We had a nice afternoon. 

I meant to take more pics, but didn't quite get around to it! I did snap this pic of Dexter and the girls though. Poor Dexter is sick. It won't be long now before he passes.

It was a great weekend away of temples and family. I'm so thankful for temples and family and for safe travel.

No comments: