Friday
Seeing PEI come into view and seeing the red rock, it was awesome. Fiona and I went to go check it out before going to the car to disembark.
It was a 40 minute drive from Wood Islands to Stratford where we were staying. When Ken and I started looking for a place to stay there were no hotels, but we found this Airbnb cottage. It wasn't air conditioned, and there was a heat wave to greet us when we arrived, but other than that it was magical. The other magical thing was getting there at low tide, and the low low tide. I didn't realize that there were degrees of low tide and high tide.
Exploring when we got there was amazing. We were all captivated by the place. It was magical.
Alice and Fiona explored a lot. To the right across the water is Charlottetown.
Kate enjoyed not being in the car.
You could walk out so far when it was low low tide!
There were very shallow tide pools that were filled with hermit crabs and other sea life. It was awesome!
We found an actual starfish! I had never seen one in the "wild".
We went to the grocery store at some point, came back, Ken made dinner, I started laundry and we delighted in the sunset, and the tide coming in.
After the sunset we set off for Charlottetown in search Cows ice cream.
Our Cows visit was most unpleasant. Not because the girls didn't like their ice cream, they did. It wasn't unpleasant because of the ridiculously adorable Taylor Swift Cows parody t-shirt that I bought for Fiona. It was extremely unpleasant because of a group of teenage boys behind us in line that kept swearing and talking so rudely. It was gross. I kind of wish we'd walked out of line and come back a few minutes later. Make that, I really wish we would have walked away. I really wish I would have done something other than just try to stare them down which didn't really work.
(I didn't get a pic of Fiona in her shirt until we were back home again!)
I bought Raspberry Cordial, as I didn't want the only non-dairy ice cream that they had - strawberry sorbet. When we got back to the cottage the water was getting higher approaching high tide. I think it eventually covered the bottom three stairs when we went outside to check high tide.
The next morning it was high tide again as we missed the low tide in the middle of the night.
This was High Tide.
There were parts of PEI that just felt like I could be driving around Ontario, but it is different. Rolling hills that reminded me of England. It was really beautiful. The drive to the Potato Museum was an hour and a half away from where we were in Stratford. The museum was in the town of O'Leary.
The churches that dotted the Maritimes. I loved them.
That little reddish brown smudge of dirt is from Hopewell Rocks and I kind of love this little tag-a-long memory on my shoe.
I love sharing this with my kids and my Ken!
The big potato is epic!
The museum had three main sections. One with community history, one about the potato, and the last section was all antique farm equipment. The display about Island History had an interesting story about an O'Leary resident named Jack Turner. He brought his camera with him to the front and took pics all through the war - even though that was forbidden. His pictures weren't published until he was in his 90s, long after the first world war.
Ken beside the farm equipment he grew up with.
I didn't realize that the potato was from South America and it was brough to Europe.
This display of diseased potatoes in coffins was gross but amusingly presented.
Fiona chose a PEI sweatshirt from the museum gift shop. It came in a potato bag which I LOVED!
And of course the potato museum had a little restaurant. We ordered French Fries to go.
Taking sleeping pics of Kate has become a favourite pastime in the car lol.
It was cool seeing the factories where the food we eat is made. Seeing the Highliner factor in Lunenburg made me feel nostalgic for the fish sticks my Mom made growing up. We don't eat Cavendish French Fries, but I love their hashbrowns.
Our next stop was Green Gables. I didn't realize that being there would make me tear up, but it did. Learning more about Lucy Maud Montgomery, being in the place that inspired her... Even though there were so many people, I still felt the magic of the place, I felt inspired! It also made me want to learn a lot more about her.
She never lived in this home. It was her cousins home, but this is the home that inspired Green Gables.
The grounds were beautiful. Beautiful gardens, a little trail through the woods. It was really pretty.
I would have bought a shirt or sweatshirt that had the "no mistakes" quote, but there was a decided lack of quote items to buy in the giftshop. I bought a green gables magnet. And Kate picked out a Green Gables sweatshirt which made me very happy, so now all three girls have a fun hooded sweatshirt memory to wear.
After we left Green Gables we drove a minute up the road to a place where Lucy Maud had actually lived. It's owned by a family, not the government, and it was a neat place. I ended up buying two books of her journals and her book about writing. Now to read them!
Oh and I forgot! Kate got a stress potato from the potato museum. It's perfect!
Just up the road a little further there was a herd of cattle crossing the road from one pasture to another, it was perfect!
Our next stop was driving through another National Park - Prince Edward Island National Park, so we could drive along the Gulf Shore Parkway. We had to pay $17 to drive and be able to pull over to take pics for 7kms of road. I thought it was worth it! It was really pretty!
Oh and at some point today Lisa sent me pics from Sarah and Ken's wedding! They got married in the Provo City Centre Temple today. And on a sad note, Maureen's kids said goodbye to their Dad today. Dan's funeral was today too. I can't remember when he and Maureen got divorced. It was an ugly divorce, but he was a good Dad and he loved his kids so much, he was so proud of them.
After driving past the beaches, and Ken a little bit wishing we would have stopped but we just kept driving, we went back to Charlottetown. Ken found a pub with some gf options, so we found parking and went for dinner. I loved my dinner. Sadly, Kate and Fiona didn't really love their butter chicken because it had so many veggies mixed in boo, but everyone else loved their dinner.
You can see the pretty rolls here. It really was a tasty work of art!
This is where the Anne of Green Gables the Musical is on stage. Ken had asked if I wanted to go when we were planning the trip, but I didn't really want to, and I don't regret my choice.
This is one of the other Cow's Ice Cream locations in Charlottetown.
The new guests in the cottage next door had a cute dog that loved playing catch. Once we were properly introduced to the dog he stopped barking at us and played with us.
We drove past the LDS church about 15 minutes before church was starting. I wanted to go, but no one else did and we didn't really even talk about it. We had a long drive to Quebec City in front of us, and everyone just wanted to get on with it.
We left the Island using the Confederation Bridge. It's 12.9 kms long and you only have to pay to leave the Island and it's $50 for a car. I thought it might be scary driving across it. But it wasn't.
The next morning it was high tide again as we missed the low tide in the middle of the night.
This was High Tide.
Watching the tides made me so happy. I had been so frustrated that we were never in one place long enough to actually see the difference. Even though this was our only full day on the island and there were things we wanted to see, we took our time, had a slow morning and just enjoyed the location.
The churches that dotted the Maritimes. I loved them.
That little reddish brown smudge of dirt is from Hopewell Rocks and I kind of love this little tag-a-long memory on my shoe.
I love sharing this with my kids and my Ken!
The big potato is epic!
The museum had three main sections. One with community history, one about the potato, and the last section was all antique farm equipment. The display about Island History had an interesting story about an O'Leary resident named Jack Turner. He brought his camera with him to the front and took pics all through the war - even though that was forbidden. His pictures weren't published until he was in his 90s, long after the first world war.
Ken beside the farm equipment he grew up with.
I didn't realize that the potato was from South America and it was brough to Europe.
This display of diseased potatoes in coffins was gross but amusingly presented.
Fiona chose a PEI sweatshirt from the museum gift shop. It came in a potato bag which I LOVED!
And of course the potato museum had a little restaurant. We ordered French Fries to go.
Taking sleeping pics of Kate has become a favourite pastime in the car lol.
It was cool seeing the factories where the food we eat is made. Seeing the Highliner factor in Lunenburg made me feel nostalgic for the fish sticks my Mom made growing up. We don't eat Cavendish French Fries, but I love their hashbrowns.
Our next stop was Green Gables. I didn't realize that being there would make me tear up, but it did. Learning more about Lucy Maud Montgomery, being in the place that inspired her... Even though there were so many people, I still felt the magic of the place, I felt inspired! It also made me want to learn a lot more about her.
She never lived in this home. It was her cousins home, but this is the home that inspired Green Gables.
The grounds were beautiful. Beautiful gardens, a little trail through the woods. It was really pretty.
I would have bought a shirt or sweatshirt that had the "no mistakes" quote, but there was a decided lack of quote items to buy in the giftshop. I bought a green gables magnet. And Kate picked out a Green Gables sweatshirt which made me very happy, so now all three girls have a fun hooded sweatshirt memory to wear.
After we left Green Gables we drove a minute up the road to a place where Lucy Maud had actually lived. It's owned by a family, not the government, and it was a neat place. I ended up buying two books of her journals and her book about writing. Now to read them!
Oh and I forgot! Kate got a stress potato from the potato museum. It's perfect!
Just up the road a little further there was a herd of cattle crossing the road from one pasture to another, it was perfect!
Our next stop was driving through another National Park - Prince Edward Island National Park, so we could drive along the Gulf Shore Parkway. We had to pay $17 to drive and be able to pull over to take pics for 7kms of road. I thought it was worth it! It was really pretty!
Oh and at some point today Lisa sent me pics from Sarah and Ken's wedding! They got married in the Provo City Centre Temple today. And on a sad note, Maureen's kids said goodbye to their Dad today. Dan's funeral was today too. I can't remember when he and Maureen got divorced. It was an ugly divorce, but he was a good Dad and he loved his kids so much, he was so proud of them.
After driving past the beaches, and Ken a little bit wishing we would have stopped but we just kept driving, we went back to Charlottetown. Ken found a pub with some gf options, so we found parking and went for dinner. I loved my dinner. Sadly, Kate and Fiona didn't really love their butter chicken because it had so many veggies mixed in boo, but everyone else loved their dinner.
After dinner we went off walking (not very far) to find a food truck that does Rolled Ice Cream. I'd never heard of rolled ice cream before. It was yummy and pretty and they had both dairy free and gluten free options, yay!
You can see the pretty rolls here. It really was a tasty work of art!
This is where the Anne of Green Gables the Musical is on stage. Ken had asked if I wanted to go when we were planning the trip, but I didn't really want to, and I don't regret my choice.
This is one of the other Cow's Ice Cream locations in Charlottetown.
Sunday
None of us were ready to leave. Well maybe Kate, but the rest of us weren't ready to leave the magic of PEI. It was overcast and cool this morning and we soaked up sometime by the water before it was time to drive.
I wish I had a screen shot of the tide chart from Friday, but I don't. I tried to go back in time but this website wouldn't let me, but this shows the variations between low tide. How there's a really low tide and a medium low tide.
The new guests in the cottage next door had a cute dog that loved playing catch. Once we were properly introduced to the dog he stopped barking at us and played with us.
We drove past the LDS church about 15 minutes before church was starting. I wanted to go, but no one else did and we didn't really even talk about it. We had a long drive to Quebec City in front of us, and everyone just wanted to get on with it.
We left the Island using the Confederation Bridge. It's 12.9 kms long and you only have to pay to leave the Island and it's $50 for a car. I thought it might be scary driving across it. But it wasn't.
I loved our time in PEI. Next up New Brunswick and then Quebec!















































































































































No comments:
Post a Comment