Monday, June 17, 2024

A Kentucky Wedding Weekend

Big sigh! I miss my family! We had a busy, tiring weekend, but it was really great, and I'm so so so grateful that we were able to go!

I'm not sure exactly when Molly and Isaac started dating. I think maybe a year ago in the fall? I also can't remember when they officially got engaged, but I know they took engagement photos in December in Utah, and that their engagement pic was part of Suzanne's Christmas card. (I looked it up, they got engaged in November!)

Molly and Isaac's engagement pics were so sweet!



Friday

The adventure began after school on Friday. We got ready as quickly as possible and got on the road about 5:30. The goal was to get to Windsor with a stop in London for dinner and to see Shawn and Cooper! We took the 407 and everything was great!



Ken bought anti-motion sickness glasses for Fiona. They were great! The driving was free and clear almost the whole way to London. We were diverted off of the 401 because of some traffic, and Ken might have missed the exit from the 407, but all in all, we made good time to London.








We had fun visiting and chatting and just hanging out. It was fun watching Cooper and Kate together. They've been friends since they were babies! Shawn drove the punch buggy - her Mother-in-Law's car so I even got to punch Jon. All in all, a fantastic evening!

Oh and the rest of the fam jam... Thursday was travel day for most everyone? Maybe not Suzanne? Anyway, Andrew travelled with CJ and Mom, Jon and his family met up with Thomas in the airport which was awesome. On the Friday Andrew took Ben to the Louisville Slugger museum? Factory? Both? I was a little sad we missed out on some of the fun, but we did what we could do!






Saturday

The hotel room in Windsor was great. Two queen size beds and a pullout couch. We all had a good sleep. The breakfast in the morning was fine, and then we were off on the next leg! The bugs. There were bugs, fish flies, all over Windsor - the signs posted all over town said it meant Lake Erie was healthy. It was crazy, how many there were. We stopped the duty free to get some American cash. The border agent was great. The weather was perfect.



On Saturday morning we were making good time. Things were great... until they weren't. 

We were in Ohio when Kate said "I don't feel good". I got her a doggy poop bag right in the nick of time. She then proceeded to throw up, lots. Poor thing. We were quite close to a rest stop so we stopped until she was done barfing. The next exit was 10 miles, and there was a Walmart. So we headed straight there and bought Dramamine and Gravol. Kate took the gravol and then had a snooze. She sat in the front seat in hopes that would be good too.


By the time we got to Kentucky Kate was feeling better enough, that we stopped at the gluten free Fried Chicken place that Ken had found, Galactic Fried Chicken. The food was yummy, but the smell of the cooking oil was a little pervasive. The only other detraction - the amount of food lol. We forgot that we were in America. The portion sizes were INSANE. We ordered way too much food oops. Once we had eaten - which took a little longer than it needed to, we were in the home stretch.






We went and checked in to our hotel, dropped off our stuff, changed, and we were off to the rehearsal dinner. Or the "night before" dinner. It was at the country club that Molly's family belongs to. I didn't eat anything, but everyone else that ate enjoyed their food.

The best part of the whole night was getting to hug Isaac! Oh my goodness! We last saw him before his mission in 2019. It had been almost five whole years. Crazy!
Isaac and Molly played the shoe game. There were asked questions and without knowing what the answer they had to choose whether the answer to the question was Molly or Isaac. They held up the corresponding shoe to give their answer. It was cute. 


We were all staying at the same hotel which was awesome! Suzanne and her peeps were on the same floor. I loved that!
Suzanne and I went over to see her NY girls at their airbnb. It was so awesome. Suzanne's dear friends that she met in New York all came to Isaac's wedding - Minna, Amy, Jill and Monica. It was great to see them all again!

Sunday

And then it was wedding day! Wedding day, go to church day, and Father's Day.

I love going to church in other areas. I loved going to sacrament meeting in Kentucky! In their sacrament meeting they sang a primary song, and someone spoke for two minutes about the song. It was awesome. The primary kids sang for the dads too. A husband and wife spoke. The wife did a great job speaking, I don't remember her husband's remarks really though.

The Happy Father's Day Ken!!! Pic!!! 


One of the pretty roads back to the hotel.
At the barn! The place where Isaac and Molly got married was so pretty. It was on a farm. They were married in a field, and the reception was in the barn. It was so beautiful, and very, very hot!
The head table.
My girls!!






We were told to go outside and sit for the wedding to start. There was a string quartet playing music.
The wedding ceremony was really beautiful. The pastor from Molly's parents church married Isaac and Molly. They read scriptures and there were prayers and it was all very beautiful until the pastor said "as long as you both shall live". When he said that I felt it physically. I wasn't expecting it, I didn't plan it, but the reality that they weren't getting married in the temple, it hurt me. And I felt sad. Thankfully only briefly.

























I told Isaac that his Grandpa was there in Spirit. I asked Ken to wear my Dad's tie to the wedding and he did. I missed my Dad today. He would have been so proud of Isaac and so happy, and he would just love Molly!


















Suzanne and Matthew's room.
Our room! So close! It was really fun all being in the same hotel.
Monday

And just like that it was time to go home. It was much too quick. I feel like we barely said hello and then we had to say goodbye. Isaac and Molly are on their way to Grenada for their honeymoon. Suzanne and the fam all flew out this morning, Thomas is flying back to the academy. Jon and Michelle and the fam fly out later today. Our drive home was good. No incidents. No barfing. Milo had been picked up by our next door neighbours. That was a happy reunion! The girls had to help unpack the car before we got the dog, that made everything go really quickly!








A wedding is such a miracle. The beginning of a new family. Two people becoming one - two distinct people but with the same goals and pursuits in front of them. I am so thankful for my marriage to Ken, and I hope that Molly and Isaac will have such a happy partnership!

No comments: