Friday, April 24, 2020

Transfers?

The transfer list finally opened up on Tuesday. So far there isn't much of anything available. The only full time music jobs are in the west - so no point, the only reason I want to transfer away from Blue Willow is to get closer to home.

There was a job in Stouffville at Harry Bowes P.S. that piqued my interest. It was a .74, so it would be a reduction in pay, in hours I work, and a reduction in travel about 35 minutes or so to work. I messaged my principal Brian to ask, and he said, go for it, he thought of it as no big deal that I wasn't yet approved for a reduction in time - something that I should have done in January. It's really just a formality so apply. He knew the principal and said he was a nice guy.

I emailed the principal on Tuesday and heard back from him on Tuesday. He said if I was truly interested in the reduction in time, because the position probably wouldn't be full time, then let's keep talking. And the back and forth led to a "chat" for Thursday. I was nervous and excited.

Thursday morning I got myself set up, locked myself in my bedroom and had a very pleasant (so pleasant!!) conversation with the principal and vice-principal. It was so lovely. I said I really needed to think about the reduction and talk to my husband and make sure that budget wise we were okay. (They're not called job interviews because you've already been hired by the board. They call them chats - to see if you fit what they're looking for at their school.)

Ken and I chatted, we looked at numbers and we thought let's do this. It is honestly what I've wanted for so long. So I didn't wait until Monday like he told me I could. I emailed him back that afternoon and said I would take the position if they wanted me. He wrote back that he and the VP would be talking the next day and he'd let me know in the afternoon.

This morning I got this email:
It was very nice to meet you and speak with you about our Instrumental Music vacancy yesterday.  We did tell you that we were going to make a decision today but we found out this morning (from our Area Staffing Committee) that we are unable to offer the position if it involves a requested decrease in time, unless it is to someone on the surplus list.  We now have to wait until all of the surplus teachers have been placed, which I believe is June 2.  As of now we have not had any interest in the position from surplus teachers but we will have to wait and see if any surplus teachers are placed in the position. 
So our sincere apologies if we gave you incorrect information yesterday.
Please stay in touch if you continue to have interest in the position and we can let you know if it is still going to be available in June.
Take care and stay safe.
I was very sad after I read the email. It is very hopeful, but June is over a month away. I feel like I'm supposed to keep pursuing a transfer, that it's the right thing for me and my family, but the way isn't opening up. I felt so good about this job, and who knows, it might still be there in June. But I was so so sad. So sad. I felt like an end, another dead end. 

After a long chat with a friend, I felt cheered up. There is hope. Today and yesterday thinking about this position, that if this is what I have been waiting for, then this is so amazing. So if this is it, or something more, there will be something, sometime. Waiting is the name of the game right now!

No comments: