My
goals today are these: be brief, be meaningful and above all else, don’t cry.
Dad didn’t like watching people cry from the pulpit. Not because he didn’t
think you should cry, but because he was such a tender guy himself, and
watching other people cry made him cry.
I
thought that I would share a few of the things that my Dad has taught me. He
had a rich, full life and was generally a pretty happy guy, when he wasn't perfecting the art of being a grumpy old man!
So
here are “ten rules to live by” according to the life of Ted Bacon.
Number
one: eat a good breakfast. Growing up, Dad had bacon and eggs almost every
morning. Bacon, eggs, toast, a piece of strong cheddar cheese with ketchup, and
possibly some left over salad thrown in for good measure. My Mom tells the
story that the morning she went into labour with me, they couldn’t leave to go
to the hospital until Dad had had breakfast, and I think Mom might have even
made it for him.
Number
two: Talk to everyone you meet. Dad loved people, all people. He loved telling
stories. He loved talking about us kids. If you smiled at Dad, guaranteed you
would get a conversation. He had friends everywhere; the grocery store, the dry
cleaners, the convenience store, the recycling drop off; everywhere he went
people knew him and loved him.
Number
three: When watching sports on television, you’re not really committed unless
you’re yelling at the tv. Dad loved hockey and CFL football. He’d watch other
sports if there was nothing else on, but those were his favourites. Many times
growing up I’d hear Dad yelling and wonder what was wrong only to realize he
was coaching from his arm chair.
Number
four: When you’re working around the house, sing to yourself. When Dad would
get home from work, he would go for a swim, then he would do yard work.
After dinner, he was in the kitchen cleaning up – even when we were older
and we were supposed to be doing the dishes, Dad would be in the kitchen
helping – and he was always singing to himself.
Number
five: Be grateful. He was always saying thank you, and showing appreciation.
Every night after dinner, he thanked Mom and sincerely and gratefully told her
what a good dinner it was.
Number
six: Be humble. Dad would frequently ask me, his daughter, for advice. “Tell me
what I can do better Wen”, or “Come on tell me, what do I need to do?” And he
listened, and took the advice to heart. He recognized his own deficiencies, and
he always wanted to be a better person.
Number
seven: Work hard, and play hard. Dad was proud of his job, and worked hard
delivering parcels for Canada Post. He took pride in his work. When he got
home, he didn’t stop working. He always did his part around the house.
Number
eight: Find joy in the simple things. He never needed a fuss. A package of
butter tarts for Christmas was the best present ever. He loved trains, and
garbage day and he loved wearing all the goofy shirts and sweat shirts we
bought him.
Number
nine: Love your wife with your whole heart. Dad loved Mom with everything that
was in him. She was his world. I remember there were a few years that they
would go down to Ontario Place and go to the Oldies Dances that one of the
radio stations put on. Friday night date night was a sacred weekly event. Mom
and Dad always knew how to have fun together.
Number
ten: Family time is the most important time. Family was everything to Dad. We
did so much as a family. We went on weekend trips as a family, we went on
vacations as a family. Dad drove us to lessons, he took holiday days when we
had a P.A. day. We were his world. He loved us completely and without condition.
I’m
so grateful to be my father’s daughter. I’m grateful for the example he was to
me in all things. And I’m grateful for my testimony of the gospel of Jesus
Christ. I’m so grateful for my knowledge of God’s plan. I know that I will see
my father again. I know that he is happy and at peace. And I say these things
in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment