Thursday, June 30, 2016

Last Day of Work

It has been a really great school year. Very busy, but very fulfilling professionally. I produced two concerts, a talent show, I was evaluated, and I taught and reported on 457 students.  I'm really blessed with an awesome work family.  We had new administrators this year and with weird working conditions in the fall - we were in a legal strike position - the school year didn't start out the way it should have. But we more than made up for it.

I spent today meeting with colleagues, and then cleaning up my classroom. It was a good day.

Earlier this week I was chatting with my principal - Brian Fisher in the hallway about saying goodbye to a DECE that had worked with my kids for three years. I mentioned that we were moving, he asked why the DECE wasn't following us, and I said that Ajax is kind of far. He then got serious, and asked about me leaving the school. I said that next year I would be looking to move east. He then proceeded to tell me that I was irreplaceable, and that he didn't want me to go, but that he would help find a new position. He told me to come talk to him in February, and that he used to work in the east.

Today when I hugged Brian and Amalia Lucas (our VP) goodbye and wished them well, Brian remarked about the many good chats that we'd had. I feel like that was something that happened many times this year. I had many good chats with colleagues of both a professional and personal nature.

I am really thankful to say that I love my job. It wasn't always so. There were many Septembers that I looked at job ads in panic thinking anything but teaching. It was so overwhelming in the beginning! I am so thankful that I persevered and I am so blessed that I ended up at Blue Willow P.S. I am so thankful to be a music teacher.

No comments: