Sunday, March 27, 2016

Easter - Ice Storm, Power Failure and Barf

Oh my. Thursday brought an ice storm and a power failure. We had planned a weekend trip to Rochester and it seemed like it made even more sense now that the power was out. Okay - but before we get ahead of ourselves - we decorated Easter Eggs for FHE on Monday.





So back to the weekend. The power went out Thursday night. It was a crazy, crazy night. I kept getting woken up all night with the sounds of tree branches breaking. Our usual white noise (the fans) weren't on because we had no power, so I was even more sensitive to noise and the noise was incredible. When we woke up Friday, still with no power, the house getting colder, we decided that we would have our egg hunt and then we would take off for Rochester.

It was so very dark in the basement and I had hidden the eggs thinking that the power would come back, or I hid them before we lost power, I don't remember. Either way, we found headband lights for the girls and we used flashlights. I took most of the pictures with the flash on, so it doesn't actually look that dark. Then for fun I took a pic with no flash... it was dark!





So, next we packed up and drove away. It felt a little weird leaving our house with things not quite right, but there wasn't anything we could do? I took a few pictures before we left.








The drive out of the area was crazy. There were so many, many downed trees. The further south we got, the less that you could see any problems at all. By the time we got to Rochester, the ice storm was a distant memory!

The girls love the Children's Museum. Ken and I love the children's museum. We all had so much fun, like we always do!

















We left, and went to our usual hotel. We went swimming and eventually all went to sleep. I can't remember when Alice barfed. But she did. Lots. Then Kate barfed. Ken and I barely slept. We had thought of going back to the Children's Museum. I think Heidi and Todd were otherwise occupied, but any thoughts of further fun we gone, gone, gone.

I took the barf-o sheets to the laundry in the hotel, I felt badly about someone else potentially getting sick. We cleaned ourselves, up, loaded the van, and made the trek home. Poor Ken didn't quite make it home. (Thank goodness we brought bags from the hotel.) I barely made it myself. I was so exhausted and drove the whole way home. It wasn't fun. Thank goodness we came home to the power being turned back on.

By Sunday everyone was feeling better, and the ice was starting to really melt. Our trees looked normal again - but the damage in the area, that's going to take a while to sort out! The tree limbs at the end of every driveway. It's incredible.

It was not the weekend I expected, and it sure wasn't all fun and games, but we did have fun, and the house is in one piece, we're all healthy, and my goodness, what a fun/funny memory!


No comments: